What is the used techniques by the author in developing the passage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, in the following reading from, "Big Book", I cannot understand the exact answer. Please help. Bless you.

Reading:
Extended debate concerning the exact point of origin of individual folktales told by Afro-American slaves has unfortunately taken precedence over analysis of the tales‟ meaning and function. Cultural continuities with Africa were not dependent on importation and perpetuation of specific folktales in their pristine form. It is in the place that tales occupied in the lives of the slaves and in the meaning slaves derived from them that the clearest resemblances to African tradition can be found. Afro-American slaves did not borrow tales indiscriminately from the Whites among whom they lived. Black people were most influenced by those Euro-American tales whose functional meaning and aesthetic appeal had the greatest similarity to the tales with deep roots in their ancestral homeland. Regardless of where slave tales came from, the essential point is that, with respect to language, delivery, details of characterization, and plot, slaves quickly made them their own.

20. Which of the following techniques is used by the author in developing the argument in the passage?
(A) Giving a cliché a new meaning
(B) Pointedly refusing to define key terms
(C) Alternately presenting generalities and concrete details
(D) Concluding the passage with a restatement of the first point made in the passage
(E) Juxtaposing statements of what is not the case and statements of what is the case

Answer: The correct answer is E but I checked D and I cannot understand why E is correct!! I think the author has stated a point in the first sentence of the reading and then discussed it. E is not correct because the author did not discuss the statements of what are not the case! Would you please explain it to me. Bless you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think the author has stated a point in the first sentence of the reading and then discussed it.
That's not what D says.

(D) Concluding the passage with a restatement of the first point made in the passage
This means ending the passage with the same point it began with. Clearly, that is not the case here. Therefore, D is incorrect.

I cannot understand why E is correct!

(E) Juxtaposing statements of what is not the case
Cultural continuities with Africa were not dependent on importation and perpetuation of specific folktales in their pristine form.
Afro-American slaves did not borrow tales indiscriminately from the Whites among whom they lived.

and statements of what is the case
It is in the place that tales occupied in the lives of the slaves ... that the clearest resemblances to African tradition can be found.
Black people were most influenced by those Euro-American tales ... with deep roots in their ancestral homeland.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot Teechar!
Would you please explain what the author means from "the case" in E? Thanks again.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thanks a lot Teechar!
Would you please explain what the author means [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] by "the case" in E? Thanks again.

To be the case = to be so = to reflect the situation.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
statements of what is not the case:
Cultural continuities with Africa were not dependent on importation and perpetuation of specific folktales in their pristine form.
Afro-American slaves did not borrow tales indiscriminately from the Whites among whom they lived.

and statements of what is the case:
It is in the place that tales occupied in the lives of the slaves ... that the clearest resemblances to African tradition can be found.
Black people were most influenced by those Euro-American tales ... with deep roots in their ancestral homeland.

Thanks. I cannot understand why your opted sentences are in category "the case" or "not the case". Based of what criteria, you do this classification? Why some sentences are in the case and others not?!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"the case"
It is in the place ... African tradition can be found.
Black people were most influenced by those Euro-American tales

"not the case"
Cultural continuities with Africa were not dependent on
Afro-American slaves did not borrow tales

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot. I understood that you mean that the positive verbs are reflecting the case and the negative verbs doing the not case. Am I right? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.