Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
Hey teachers,

I need some help with the idiom "from the ground up."

Can this idiom be replaced with "from the ground" to mean the same thing, or is "from the ground" a different idiom, if it's an idiom at all.

So here's a little context: This is a great opportunity to explore/check out a new country/town from the ground (up).

Now, specifically in this context, would the sentence make any sense (or have a different meaning) if we remove the "up" part?

Thanks in advance for your help,

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"From the ground" only makes sense as opposed to, say flying over a town. From the air.

"From the ground up" refers to a process of building and being there from the beginning. That doesn't make sense at all here. "We were able to watch the business grow from the ground up."

en_buff

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
Hi Piscean and SoothingDave. Thank you for your insightful and very helpful replies and explanations. I was thinking maybe the phrase would make at least some sense with the meaning of "completely" or "thoroughly," (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/from+the+ground+up), as in "explore a town thoroughly." Any thoughts?

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Piscean,
Why do we omit the word "up" that cause an error?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why do we omit the word "up" that cause an error?
I advise you not to omit/change anything in an idiom so as to avoid errors, but I am not a teacher.

en_buff

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
It doesn't work like that, as the examples in the dictionary you linked to show.

Hi. Then that original sentence is totally hopeless no matter how you look at it, I guess. Thank you a lot for your help again.

Status
Not open for further replies.