• Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Affect darkness ...

Can anybody help with bold text please?

Something of the secret of the unhuman sensitiveness of his hearing I quickly surmised. I, too, to my dismay, began, as time passed, to catch hints of loudly-uttered words. The reason might he found, I suggested, in an increased excitability of the auditory nerve, which, if the cataract were absent, the roar of the ocean, and bombast of the incessant tempest about us, would by themselves be sufficient to cause; in which case, his own aural interior must, I said, be inflamed to an exquisite pitch of hyperpyrexial fever. The affection I named to him as the Paracusis Willisii. He frowned dissent, but I, undeterred, callously proceeded to recite the case, occurring within my own experience, of a very deaf lady who could hear the fall of a pin in a rapidly-moving railway-train.1 To this he only replied: "Of ignorant persons I am accustomed to consider the mere scientist as the most profoundly ignorant."
    Yet that he should affect darkness as to the highly morbid condition of his hearing I regarded as simply far-fetched. Himself, indeed, confided to me his own, Aith's, and his aunt's proneness to violent paroxysms of vertigo. I was startled; for I had myself shortly before been twice roused from sleep by sensations of reeling and nausea, and a conviction that the chamber furiously spun with me in a direction from right to left.

M.P.Shiel, Vaila 1896

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Affect darkness ...

The author is saying that the man is in denial about his medical condition. He has been told the name of the condition he has, "Paracusis Willisii", and even the symptoms, but he refuses to accept the truth.

"Yet that he should affect darkness [feign ignorance] as to the highly morbid [seriously impaired] condition of his hearing I regarded as simply far-fetched."

(BrE first language speaker.)