Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
UK
The phrase 'to put up a stink', meaning to object to or obstruct something, has always seemed odd to me. To "make a stink" about something makes a certain degree of sense on the face of it, but not so "put up" a stink.

As I toured the Canal Museum at Towcester recently, I noticed a display that included a model of a wooden structure that was used in repairing canal tunnels. The structure consisted of a series of components that would be assembled by repair crews inside the tunnel to create a dam that blocked the flow of water, enabling tunnel repairs. What struck me was that this structure is called a "stink". The thought then occurred to me that this might well be the origin of the phrase "to put up a stink." However, I was unable to find anything on the web to corroborate my thinking on this. Comments?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could be, though I don't see a direct the connection between it and making a protest. I was wondering whether if you raised a stink, it was related to stink/stench trap, which could be a way of expressing an objection. I couldn't find an answer on the internet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.