Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Which preposition should be used with the noun "concert" when we want to say either that we attend it or that someone performs in the concert?

examples:
-Sarah is going to play the electric guitar in/at the concert.
-Where are you? I am at/in a concert.
-He was sitting next to me at/in the concert.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think both are acceptable as both 'at a meeting' and 'in a meeting' are acceptable according to Longman, but I am not a teacher.

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
I believe that both prepositions are acceptable, but I do not know if both can be used in all contexts and if the choice of one of them somehow affects the meaning.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I would use "at" for spectators and "in" for performers. To me "in a concert" has the specific meaning of performing in a concert.

E.g. "Tomorrow I will be in a concert." = "Tomorrow I will be performing in a concert.".
"Tomorrow I will be at a concert." = "Tomorrow I will be attending a concert.".

The difference between a concert and a meeting is that everyone attending a meeting will be taking part, and so at various points they may either be speakers (essentially performers), or spectators. At a concert people are either one or the other.

Last edited:

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thank you very much!
That was my idea, too, though I was not sure. That's why I firstly typed 'in' the 1st sentence and 'at' in the 2nd and 3rd (though these two can be interpreted in two ways) as my suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.