• Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Question Attendance/care/episode, medical context

Dear teacher,

I'm translating some documents into English and I've just faced an intriguing issue with the word that defines the service in a hospital/clinic in the context of having responsibility for or attention to health, well-being, and safety.

I have three options: "attendance", "care" and "episode".

So, for example, when a patient is being examined by a doctor in a hospital, can we say it's an attendance?

Can the term "episode" be applied in that context?

And when we need to name a field in a sheet or software to which it'll be assigned a protocol number for that service, what would be the best option? Could we say "Attendance #", "Care #", "Episode #"?

Thank you so much in advance.

Best regards,

Marcelo
    Last edited by Todaro; 19-Aug-2015 at 11:54. Reason: Typo mistake

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Attendance/care/episode, medical context

A doctor attends a patient. But if you're using software to bill the patient, it could be called an 'episode', though I'd choose 'service'. It really depends on what other fields you've got. For example, if it is billing software, you might have other fields for disposables, drugs, etc.
    Or you could just use "Item Number". I'm assuming you mean the name of the field, not the field entries. If it's a field entry, you'd just put the item number.

3. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Thank you Raymott.

The software is not only to bill the patient but to manage the whole attendance process, covering all and every aspect of a medical treatment.

So, the protocol number field was originally named as "episode" because, as far as I know, that's the way they do in the UK, where the information originally came from. But I admit it may be not precise.

But the documentation I'm translating will be used by professionals from all over the world, so regionalisms don't fit in it, or should be mentioned in footnotes or something like that.

It seems to me that, in this case, more than one word should be used: "attendance" for the care a doctor applies to a patient and "episode" or, even better, "service" to number the procedure. What's your (or anyone else's) opinion?

Thank you again,

Marcelo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

The field name doesn't matter as long as the people working with the software understand what goes in there. An attendance entered into a cell of that field could read "Item 24", where Item 24 is defined elsewhere as "Short hospital visit by doctor."
    In Australia, for billing purposes we use item numbers like that. A GP will let their receptionist/secretary know, "That was an Item 35", for example, or "That a short/a normal/a long/a long plus an ECG (EKG for AmE)". Not all doctors remember item numbers, but for Medicare purposes, all attendances or procedures have a nation-wide item number that has to go on the patient's bill for insurance claims.
    Last edited by Raymott; 19-Aug-2015 at 12:38.