I've just started a new course today and one of the students in the group is blind. It's a continuing course so the materials have already been chosen (New Total English Elementary), and the glossy images on each page that prepare the students for the texts are not exactly ideal for him. Of course he uses text-to-speech software to read texts on the computer but that doesn't really help him during the lessons. Like I said, I just found out today that I have him in this group, so right now I'm just looking for some teachers who have had blind students in their classes before and can give me some advice on things I can do or avoid that might allow him to get more input while he's in the classroom. I'm also open to any ideas or suggestions that people might have!

A little more background: he lost his sight in his 20s, so he completed his education as a sighted student. I'm not sure if he's done other classes since he lost his sight. He's one of those Readers' Digest inspirational stories as well: he swims, cross-country skis and completed a 100km run this year. He's obviously not intimidated by a challenge. It's a small monolingual group and the other students are happy to explain things to him and translate. I'm OK in German although Swiss-German is still pretty tough for me. It's a general English course given at their company and there's no formal assessment required at the end.

Obviously, a great deal will depend on his own personal habits and preferences. But, what can I give him to do while the other students are doing gap-fill exercises, etc.? Or when they're reading a text? One problem we ran into today was with homonyms: accept and except. Any ideas on how to help him remember or notice pairs of words like these?

I'm really excited to work with him and if there's interest I'll try and update the thread every couple of weeks and let you know what we're learning about the process.