Is there any English expression for this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertBel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
If I provide digital contents, I can do in it in digital media (streaming by instance) or in disks, Flash memory, etc. Might you tell me whether there is a word or expression that include the last concepts: Disk + Flash memory + Diskette + Magnetic Tape, etc? A direct translation from my language would be "material media", but I am sure that is not correct.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're asking about a term for the devices themselves, you could call them storage devices. That would everything from floppy disks to memory cards.

Otherwise, if you're referring to the actual information stored, I'd just call it 'digital media', 'digital files', or perhaps 'electronic copies'.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
[Not a teacher]

I would swear that "tangible medium" is the right expression.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Digital storage media?

AlbertBel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I am not so sure about "digital storage media", because some digital storage media are not material, and I need an expression meaning precisely that.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
some digital storage media are not material

Information has to be stored somewhere and so far I know of no medium for storing digital data that does not have a physical existence- the cloud just means data centres full of servers.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
[Not a teacher]

Perhaps AlbertBel is trying to mean something that you can touch with your hands in contrast to any other mediums, such as streaming.

In the case described by our friend, with the delivery of some digital content, the difference between the two concepts has a legal significance in many systems, as the European legal frame.

J

J&K Tutoring

I like 'physical media' for this situation. Since this is such an ever-changing world, I suggest you offer your content (content, in this usage, is not countable so there is no plural) as a download and mention that 'content on physical media is available at additional cost. Inquire (or enquire) for details'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why not? I know the expression "tangible medium" in the context of supply or delivery of such content.

Because that is not the same as a hard drive, etc. A copyright piece is fixed in a tangible medium when it is recorded in a manner stable enough for it to be perceived, copied, etc. The question was not about this; it was about types of storage.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Because that is not the same as a hard drive, etc. A copyright piece is fixed in a tangible medium when it is recorded in a manner stable enough for it to be perceived, copied, etc. The question was not about this; it was about types of storage.

[Not a teacher]

Sorry Tdol, but AlbertBel is asking for "a word or expression that include the last concepts: Disk + Flash memory + Diskette + Magnetic Tape, etc", and not for types of storage. What I have understood is that he is seeking for an expression that encompasses all those storage devices.

On the other hand, I didn't refer to a copyright piece. There are other issues around the difference between, for instance, supplying digital content by streaming and on a "tangible medium".

Last edited:
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I like 'physical media' for this situation. Since this is such an ever-changing world, I suggest you offer your content (content, in this usage, is not countable so there is no plural) as a download and mention that 'content on physical media is available at additional cost. Inquire (or enquire) for details'.

[Not a teacher]

I agree with you on this. I suggested the expression "tangible medium" because I am very familiar with it in legal contexts, but I have to agree that "physical media" is a more general expression to refer to content supplied in disks, game cartridges or flash memory-based devices.

Last edited:

AlbertBel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
[Not a teacher] Perhaps AlbertBel is trying to mean something that you can touch with your hands in contrast to any other mediums, such as streaming.
That is exactly what I am traying to mean: something that I can touch with my own hands in contrast with for example streaming.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
That is exactly what I am tr[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]ying to mean: something that I can touch with my own hands in contrast with for example streaming.

[Not a teacher]

Then "physical medium" or "tangible medium", depending on the context and the meaning.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Not A Teacher

"Physical medium" seems more natural to me as a native speaker than "tangible medium".

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
"Physical medium" seems more natural to me as a native speaker than "tangible medium".

[Not a teacher]

And it is indeed more natural, but I know for sure that "tangible medium" is an expression used in legal contexts with the use of the adjective "tangible" to accentuate the idea of a physical nature that you can touch with your own hands - as already stated by AlbertBel - and precisely in opposition to other not so touchable devices - so to speak - such as streaming or download.

In fact, the term is correct, and used in different contexts as well as the copyright stuff, with an interesting example in the case of consumer rights (and specifically the right of withdrawal) in the European regulations after the Directive 2011/83/Eu of the European Parliament and of the Council, with specific legal consequences, as you can see:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32011L0083

I thought to understand that AlbertBel was referring to such meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.