• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Rootabuggas

Hi,

Can anybody explain to me what the bold text means?

Bradbury and I are alone, grinnin' & schmoozin', and he proceeds to explain to me that he and I are brothers. Not my word, his word. (Not to make this too clear, but I have a chasmlike abomination of bloviating sf fans who, upon the death of someone they once met in an elevator, begin to leak like WikiAnything, just to buy themselves the face time at a memorial. "Oh, yes, I knew Isaac as if he were my brother…" "Oh, lawdy, I pluckt up rootabuggas with Cliff Simak in de fields…" "Yes, Octavia Butler and I were ever so close…") This unlikely story I tell actually happened. Go ask Bradbury if you think I'm fudging it.

Harlan Ellison, The Weariness, 2012

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: Rootabuggas

I think it is probably a dialect variation of the name of the root vegetable "rutabaga" (AmE).

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...arner/rutabaga

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

"...but I have a chasmlike abomination of bloviating sf fans who, upon the death of someone they once met in an elevator, begin to leak like WikiAnything, just to buy themselves the face time at a memorial."

This means Ellison hates fans who freely share any information, that they may have obtained from chance encounters with famous people, after that famous person has died, comparing them to WikiLeaks. He says that he hates it because the fan's motivation for sharing their personal experiences, is purely to get themselves publicity, presumably by being interviewed on television ["face time"], at that stars memorial service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiLeaks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

For learners' information, we don't use the word "rutabaga" in BrE. It's a swede or sometimes a type of turnip.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.