How to improve my English speaking skills in a very short time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsin yu chang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Australia
How to improve my English speaking skills in a very short time?
I need remedy of sorts because I'm looking for some job, I need speaking English well.
What is the maximum that I can do about it?
Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I improve my English speaking skills in a very short time?
I need a remedy of sorts because I'm looking for [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] a job (no comma here) so I need [STRIKE]speaking[/STRIKE] to speak English well.
What is the [STRIKE]maximum[/STRIKE] most that I can do about it?
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

The best way to improve your English in a very short time is to sign up to an immersion English course. This is a course where you spend a week (or longer) in the company of native English speakers and other learners at which every single word spoken must be in English. It's a trial by fire but in my experience, very successful for most learners.
However, I don't know if such courses are available to you.

Are you taking English classes somewhere? Do you read English books, newspapers and magazines? Do you listen only to English-speaking radio and watch all TV and films in English without subtitles? Do you practise your English with any native speakers on a regular basis?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There is no simple answer to this- learning a language takes time and dedication.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I think that the fastest way for you to learn would be to have a roommate (flatmate) who speaks ONLY English and who does NOT want to learn your first language.

If it is too difficult to find such a person, then the next best thing would be to find a bilingual person who will agree NEVER to speak your first language -- only English.

If your roommate speaks only English, you will have NO choice but to speak and understand the language.

I do not know how fast you need to improve your English fluency, but if it is absolutely essential that it be VERY fast, then you will have to do something very difficult: Do NOT socialize with your friends (after you have explained to them the reason) and you will even have to reduce the time spent with your family members.

In other words, you will have to live in an English-speaking world 24 hours a day (with the possible exception of school, where I assume the classes are taught in your first language).

Of course, such a commitment will be a big sacrifice, but (1) You said that you need to learn English fast, and (2) You may have to do this for only a year before you can start to modify the program. (Of course, the best course is to leave your country and live in an English-speaking country. I realize that you may not be able to do this.)

If you can do nothing else, attend English-speaking motion pictures SEVEN days a week. Let the dialogue "wash over you." Do not try to interpret every word you hear. Just enjoy the movie. Some celebrities have claimed that they learned English by simply watching American movies. I suspect that it was not that simple, but some people do seem to have an "ear for languages."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even with all the experiences detailed in previous posts, you will still need a grounding in grammar. That comes from self-study at home using good grammar books or from formal classes.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can I try to talk to myself in deep down insight?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can talk to yourself; it can help. I am afraid that I don't know what you mean by in deep down insight.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have quoted the following not a few times, and I hope the poster won't mind.

No one that I know of that has promised a shortcut to learning a language has delivered.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You can talk to yourself; it can help. I am afraid that I don't know what you mean by in deep down insight.
Make a conversation between yourself and yourself in deeply heart.
But it's getting mad when you do it.
What do you think?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm afraid I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Make a conversation in your brain.
Is it clear?
Like....

You: hello,Peter
Peter: Hi.

Is it clear?

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It says 'deep down inside' instead of 'in deep down insight', and it says nothing about 'in your brain/deeply heart'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Of course you can talk to yourself but you're not going to improve your English that way. Every sentence you say to yourself might be incorrect or ungrammatical but there will be no one there to correct you.
I think perhaps you were trying to say that you could have a conversation with yourself inside your head. I don't know what "deep down" had to do with anything or what "in your brain/deeply heart" is supposed to mean.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't know ... what "in your brain/deeply heart" is supposed to mean.
I think 'in your brain' means that you are just thinking about the conversations but not speaking, but I am not a teacher.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is only half. What about "deeply heart"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And we don't say that we have a conversation in our brain, but in our head, as I said in my previous post.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Deeply felt would work in English, but I can't see how to get it into this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.