• Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Of all the gnomes

Hello,

Can anybody help me with the bold text?

"But you assume, Harfager," I cried, "most wildly you assume! Believe me, my friend, this is the very wantonness of wickedness! By what algebra of despair do you know that the last date must be such, was intended to be such, as to correspond with the stoppage of the horologe? And, even if so, what is the significance of the whole. It has—it can have—no significance! Was the contriver of this dwelling, of all the gnomes, think you, a being pulsing with omniscience?"
    "Do you seek to madden me?" he shouted. Then furiously writing: "I know—I swear that I know—nothing of its significance! But is it not evident to you that the work is a stupendous hour-glass, intended to record the hours not of a day, but of a cycle? and of a cycle of five hundred years?"

M.P.Shiel, Vaila, 1896

Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Of all the gnomes

A gnome is a small mythical creature, usually depicted as a small bearded humanoid that dwells underground.

The speaking is asking Harfager if he assumes that out of all the gnomes in the world, the one who designed or built this dwelling was omniscient.