Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"In July, the government struck a funding deal which saw the BBC management agree to shoulder the estimated £750m burden of paying for free licence fees for the over-75s and followed up that action with a green paper set to debate the scope and scale of the corporation." (From The Guardian.)

Is "the government" a subject in the clause "...
followed up that action with a green paper set to debate the scope and scale of the corporation" in the above sentence?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, the government did two things - they struck a deal, and then followed up that action with a green paper set.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Yes, the government did two things - they struck a deal, and then followed up that action with a green paper set.

Not A Teacher
I not think the Government responded with a green paper set.
A Green Paper is a specific type document in the UK parlimentary process it should also be capitalised. That is something the editors of The Guardian should have known but Skrej probably would not.
http://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/green-papers/
"Set" in this case means to cause something to start doing something see definition 2.1 here.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/set

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you, Mrfatso, for the reply. I understand that "set" in the prepositional phrase "with a green paper set" is the past participle adjectivally modifying "a green paper". Am I right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.