Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Austria
Hello friend, I'm a Vienna user and I read the above mentioned phrase. My question is if "sit in pew" has any hint of being an idiom, common or in slang. That the saying is a pun, I have checked. Or am I wrong?
Thx in advance, :n00b:
ft

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Sit in pew" is not grammatical.
"Sit in a/the/this/that/any pew" is.

I am unaware of any idiom or how it could be a pun.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounds like some kind of made-up phrase or aphorism. Somebody would have to be audacious indeed to have conjugal relations in a church, then sit in a pew (i.e. attend services) like nothing happened.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. [STRIKE]friend[/STRIKE] I'm a user from Vienna [STRIKE]user[/STRIKE] and I read the above [STRIKE]mentioned[/STRIKE] phrase somewhere. My question is if "sit in pew" has any hint of being an idiom, common or in slang. [STRIKE]That[/STRIKE] I have checked that the saying is a pun. [STRIKE]I have checked.[/STRIKE] Or am I wrong?
[STRIKE]Thx[/STRIKE] Thanks in advance.

:n00b:

It means nothing to me either.

Note my amendments to your post above, marked in red.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Take a pew is a rather dated way of asking someone to sit down in British English. That is the closest I can get.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Not A Teacher

I think the joke " A man who farts in church sits in his own pew" may be what F*** refers to rather than conjugal rights as many including myself first thought.

It is a pun on the fact that pew the bench someone sits on in church sounds similar to the word phew an exclamation sometimes used in disgust, particularly at a smell.
http://www.oxford-dictionaries.com/definition/english/phew

Last edited:

_ft_1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Austria
First, I want to thank all contributors. It was a meme: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/372954412866119466/

Two days later I saw daylight. Primarily, I think it´s an oafishness, whereupon at second glance there was a certain pensiveness in it, still. This is something along the lines of Mrfatso :up: and in this spirit I would say the pun even could be applied to a person who, in large part living as single and showing a certain moralization, does not have sense of community.
Posting my question I should have used "F..t" instead of "F...". I´m sorry for that, @Skrej! Moreover, as I see now, it is no harm to write the full word.
Last but not least I want to express esteeming acknowledgement to emsr2d2. The contribution is an important feedback to me realising the level of my command of English :shock:. So, after a reprieve, if anyone had the time and muse to visit my blog http://www.radiebuk.at/wordpress/?cat=4
and to correct the one or other English-written part, I would feel like the king of a pretty fairy tale:-D.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Moreover, as I see now, it is no harm to write the full word.

It's slang rather than anything particularly rude, so writing it in full is OK IMO. If you wanted to censor it, f*rt might work better to avoid any confusion and make the intended word clearer. The problem here was that the first posters were thinking of a completely different word, which was hard to make sense of. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.