Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Is the sentence ok?

Would it be possible to send a copy of your training program to us?

can you send a copy of your training program to us?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
[STRIKE]Is the sentence ok?[/STRIKE]

Are these questions OK?

Would it be possible to send a copy of your training program to us?

Can you send a copy of your training program to us?
With the capital letter, yes.

J

J&K Tutoring

Rover has made the technical corrections. Business writing should be a bit more rigorous than personal writing.

'Would it be possible...' and 'can you...' are ambiguous, as technically they ask if it is physically possible to send the training program. Of course it is physically possible.

What you really want to know is: "Are you willing to send you training program?" or "Do you have the authority/permission to send it?" Now, it's polite to 'soften' that a bit by putting it something like this: "Will you send us you training program?" "Could you send..." or, better yet, "How can we get your training program?" This last leaves the door open for the sender to ask for compensation for the thing of value that they have.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the originals are more common and are sufficient to convey the intended meaning.

J

J&K Tutoring

(Sigh...)
Lots of things are 'common'. And lots of things are 'sufficient to convey meaning'- especially in a language with as many words as English. But that doesn't mean that we, as teachers, accept less than better. Practically every post is 'sufficient to convey meaning', yet we spend time and energy suggesting improvements.

I like to think that this site is about showing learners the finer points of expressing themselves clearly and in the best possible way, not merely accepting what is 'common'...

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but "would it be possible" isn't actually an inquiry of physical possibility. It's a common enough way to express significant deference.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have found that there are many people who think they can improve on the work of others. In many cases, the changes are just different, not better.

J

J&K Tutoring

That may be so, Barb, but it puts the onus on the provider to mention a cost (assuming there is one). In business, it's important to make it as easy as possible for the other person to say 'yes'.

As stated in the original post, it sounds as if the asker wants this thing for free. By asking the more open question: 'How do we...?' the provider knows that the asker assumes there is a cost and is willing to offer something in return. The provider then has the option of stating terms or merely saying, 'I'd be happy to send it to you at no charge!'

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is very easy for the provider to mention a cost if there is one. Most people that I know in business are not shy about doing that.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I work in corporate America. My closest colleague runs our employee development program. It has already happened that another coworker has mentioned a discussion with someone who works for a peer company regarding an aspect of their employee training.

My colleague would reach out to her counterpart at this other company very deferentially. "I recently heard great things about your X training program. Would it be possible ..." is the common way to ask. Or even the more deferential "I was wondering if it might be possible..."

You don't that assume they will, and depending on propriety, that they even can, share it outside their company.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, we don't use "send ... to us" as often as books seem to think we do. Even with the polite "Would it be possible", I would expect to see/hear "Would it be possible to send us a copy of your training program?"

J

J&K Tutoring

Ah, now I see why BarbD and I disagree. She is thinking of a situation where the program would not be offered for sale, and I am thinking of one that is (or might be) available for purchase.

tomas615: I recommend you follow BarbD's advice in the type of situation she outlined, and consider my approach if it's something that might have a price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.