Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have written the following sentences as a kind of exercises on using phrasal verbs. This is not a school assignment. Would you please correct my mistakes.

1. The writer put his success down to hard work and patience.
2. The customers were put off by the bad service and unkind personnel.
3. The basketball team put their failure down to the lack of money and good players.
4. He was angry with himself because he could never put aside his shyness and talk to girls.
5. Anna had put behind her difficult childhood and in the end managed to became a doctor.
6. After her divorce, Joan had put on weight and become depressive.
7. She asked herself how she could put up with her violent husband for so many years.
8. John's friends had put him up to take a trip around the world.
9. The government have invested enormously in housing, and everywhere you could see construction workers putting up new block of flats.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have written the following sentences as a kind of exercises on using phrasal verbs. This is not a school assignment. Would you please correct my mistakes.

1. The writer put his success down to hard work and patience. :tick:
2. The customers were put off by the bad service and unkind personnel. :tick:
3. The basketball team put their failure down to the lack of money and good players. :tick:
4. He was angry with himself because he could never put aside his shyness and talk to girls. :tick:
5. Anna had put behind her difficult childhood and in the end managed to became a doctor. :cross:
Anna had put her difficult childhood behind her and, in the end, managed to become a doctor.
6. After her divorce, Joan had put on weight and become depressive. :tick: (The phrasal verb is OK but use "depressed" or "a depressive".)
7. She asked herself how she could have put up with her violent husband for so many years. :tick: (See the word I have added in red.)
8. John's friends had put him up to take a trip around the world. :cross: I don't know what you mean with this one. Does it have something to do with money?
9. The government have invested enormously in housing, and everywhere you could see construction workers putting up new block of flats. :tick:

See above.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
emsr,
Thank you again.
Regarding my sentence nr 8, I actually wanted to say, "John's friends encouraged him to take a trip around the world." I have believed that put somebody up to something means encourage or urge, but probably in this sentence it does not function well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't work well there. "To put someone up to something" is more like a dare or a challenge to do something unusual, dangerous or stupid.

A: Why on earth did Dave go bungee-jumping? He's terrified of heights.
B: Oh, I put him up to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.