possible to omit indefinite articles in academic writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Academic articles are written under hard word limit restrictions. Acceptance rate can be low, and it is important to be informative in order not to lose in the competition with other submissions. At the same time, the language must be correct as well. So, the challenge is to find ways to be brief, and omitting articles can save many words.

"The semi-structured interviews were done on a voluntary basis"

Can 'a' be omitted in this case? If not, why? Is it a matter of style or grammar?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It cannot be omitted. It is a matter of grammar.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The semi-structured interviews were done voluntarily.

You can change wordings to make your writing short.
..to lose in the competition..

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
It cannot be omitted. It is a matter of grammar.

I totally agree. I am often quite flexible about how people use English, but this is one area where as a native speaker I can instantly tell if someone is not. It actually jars me when the articles are left out, because to first language speakers their omission sticks out like a sore thumb.

Rather than lose the articles, tedmc's suggestion is a good one; look to tighten up other sections of your sentences, or if necessary restructure and rephrase them in order to reduce the word count.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I more or less agree, but you have to admit that we are almost as redundant as the French in our use of articles. Indian English, for example, does just fine with a lot less of them. In most cases, I can't see any good reason for them, except that they sound 'normal'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They may not serve much purpose, but academic writing is not the place to start the rebellion. If you used with volunteers, you would save two words, be grammatical and lose little in the way of meaning. They would have to volunteer if it is done on a voluntary basis. There are certainly better ways of saving words than breaking grammar rules.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Academic articles are written under hard word limit restrictions. Acceptance rate can be low, and it is important to be informative in order not to lose in the competition with other submissions. At the same time, the language must be correct as well. So, the challenge is to find ways to be brief, and omitting articles can save many words.

If this is a sample of your writing, it can be a LOT tighter. 60 words.

Academic articles have hard limits on word count. To be among the few accepted, it is important to be informative and use correct language. Being concise can be challenging; omitting articles could save many words. 35 words.

You need an editor.

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
haha, Barb. I will hire you next time I write a forum post. I can write tighter, but it takes time.

Anyway, the feedback from native speakers above has been very helpful - this is the kind of feedback that is hard to come by for us non-natives.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can write tighter, but it takes time.

Doing anything well usually takes time. Whether you think taking that time is worth it is entirely up to you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is an old quip, which has unfortunately been attributed to many individuals. But whoever said it got it right.

I apologize for the length of this letter. If I'd had more time, it would have been shorter.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I write for a living. It is much harder to write tightly.

My point was not to say you should edit your forum posts, but that you can better address word-count issues with tighter writing than resorting to cutting articles.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If it's a matter of a few words, cutting words can work, but rewriting things often works better, especially when a substantial reduction is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.