Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I am planning to wite on the following topic.

Advertising is all around us, it is an unavoidable part of everyone’s life. Some people say that advertising is a positive part of our lives while others say it is a negative one. Discuss both views and include your own opinion. Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience

Positive:

- Comes to know about latest products, fashion and style
- Saving by benefitings promotional deals.
- Necesary for companies while launching new products.

Negative:

- People tend to buy after watching their favorite celebrity in the Ads.
- Excessive Buiying, Waste of money

I though to have above said point in my essay. Please guide me, whether i am doing right???

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
That looks more like a good initial brainstorming effort than an actual plan.

Now you need to:
- Decide which position to take.
- Organise your ideas (how they fit together in body paragraphs).

Comment: I don't necessarily see the problem with the first negative point you listed. It seems to be part of the second point (buying unnecessary things). Perhaps you could discuss how advertising adds to costs, thereby leading to higher prices.

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I wil write on both side, while favoring Advertising.

or

Shall i choose one side??

Shat is the best of writing such essays????

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I will write [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] about both sides,
The essay question clearly asks you to do so!
while favoring Advertising.
You could if you like.
or Shall I choose one side? [STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]
Didn't you just suggest that you plan to "favor" advertising? :shock:
[STRIKE]Shat[/STRIKE] What is the best way of writing such essays? [STRIKE]???[/STRIKE]
Be patient; get the plan right first.

Last edited:

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Okay. Shall I wirte eassy now??

What do you mean by Plan ? I guess, you are talking about what to write.

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Please check how I performed the task.

Advertising has become integral part of the companies’ policies. It is an easy and efficient way of promoting products with minimal time span. Some people argue that advertising keep us informed about latest products, promotions and offers, which help in decision making and cost saving. However, others state that their buying habits are changed by advertising, and it disturbs their monthly budget. I strongly believe that advertising make our life easy and colorful.

Nowadays, companies are finding different ways of advertisement. It gives sudden boost to the sale of their products by targeting maximum potential users. Advertising also increased the buying capacity of people’s by availing different promotions and offers. Furthermore, it keeps us updated about the latest fashion and lifestyle. That enables peoples to look different from others.

However, Companies spend huge amount for advertising. They would like to have celebrities in their ads, who has big fan following. These celebrities charged in millions for an ads of one to two minutes. Thus, this added to the cost and result in higher prices of the product. In addition to this, people tend to buy more by seeing their favorite personality in the ads regardless of the need or use of it. This has greatly affected the lower class of society. Because the prices have drastically increased when there is a demand of item.

In conclusion, I would like to say that the benefits of advertising overweigh its disadvantages, Advertising enable us to be trendy and stylish while enjoying the best available offers.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are still logical flaws in your thinking.
Do you know for a fact that prices are higher because of paid celebrity endorsements? Do you know for a fact that poor people all rush out to buy products they cannot afford because a celebrity said it was good? I doubt you do, but you state it as a fact.

You also talk only about fashion - that advertising helps us "look different from others." In your brainstorming, you gave more good reasons than you do here. You also say that advertising increases buying capacity (no it doesn't - people have the same amount to spend whether there are ads or not, and if there are discounted prices, they exist whether there is an ad or not) but that is a contrast to your saying that ads make products cost more.

You are not ready to jump into your writing yet. You need to spend more time on the planning part.

Ask yourself this for each point you raised in your brainstorming:
Why do I think this is true?
What is this point important?

If you are not sure it's true, leave it out.
If you can say why you think it's important, then you have the follow-sentence.

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
One question. I have heard we can write anything whether it is right or wrong. I mean whether it is a fact or not.

When i start writing nothing comes in my mind. Its very difficult for me. I dont know how to solve this problem.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Where did you hear that it's OK to write anything, whether it's a fact or not? Of course, it is physically possible to write something which isn't true but there's no reason to do that in an essay. If you're writing a novel or a short story, you can invent facts as much as you like.

Would you have the same problem if you were trying to write this essay in your native language?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
One question. I have heard we can write anything whether it is right or wrong; I mean whether it is a fact or not.
Hmm, I don't think trying to argue that a cow is type of plant would get you very far! :shock:

When I start writing, nothing comes in my mind. Its very difficult for me. I don't know how to solve this problem.
That's why I suggested earlier that you plan out your essay first and then start writing it!

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Okay right. Planning mean brainstorming or what ?

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Actually we have to write 250 words. If we are short of contents, can't we write like that?

No in my native language I do not have this problem.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you don't have this problem in your native language, why don't you start by writing the essay in your native language and then translating it into English. At least you will be getting across the same ideas you seem to be able to come up with in your language.

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I should think in my native language than write in english.

I have tried this practice today and it some how work for me. Thank you, you gave me this idea.

Previously I was thinking in english.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should think in my native language [STRIKE]than[/STRIKE] then write in English.

I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] tried this [STRIKE]practice[/STRIKE] today and it [STRIKE]some how[/STRIKE] worked for me. Thank you, you gave me this idea.

Previously I was thinking in English.

When your English is more advanced, you might be able to think entirely in English. However, even the most fluent second-language speakers find that they still "translate in their head". At the moment, when writing essays, I suggest you stick with writing down your ideas in your language so that you can come up with more ideas and then translate them and flesh them out in English. Just make sure you don't try to translate word-for-word from your language to English. That doesn't work.

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Right. Now onwars I will follow your instructions!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Okay right. Does planning mean brainstorming or what ?
Brainstorming is part of the process. However, after you brainstorm, you need to decide on a position (if necessary), then filter and organize your ideas within two or three body paragraphs.

Each body paragraph should start with a clear topic sentence that links to the essay topic and at the same time introduces the particular point that the paragraph will deal with. The topic sentence, thus, defines the scope of that paragraph.

If you decide to address the counter-position in one of your body paragraphs, then you should introduce that position briefly and make sure to refute it!

fahad_a11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Now I understand about essay plan.

I have to think about topic sentence for each paragraph after deciding my position for the essay.

Thank you, your comments are really helpful for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.