• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Is "Having (been) cooled down" rightly used or am I to say "after being cooled down?

It's me for the last time tonight.

Which of the following two sentences is better?

Having (been) cooled down, the blades are to be grindedready until proper shapes and dimensions are achieved.

or

After being cooled down, the blades are to be grinded ready until proper shapes and dimensions are achieved.

The above excerpts are from the technology for repairing blades of the bow thruster propeller.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Is "Having (been) cooled down" rightly used or am I to say "after being cooled do

I would use "After cooling down, ...". Note that "are to be grinded ready" is not grammatical. There should be a definite article before "proper".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Is "Having (been) cooled down" rightly used or am I to say "after being cooled do

I think something like "After cooling, the blades are ground to the proper shape and dimensions" is simpler.

You could also use 'cooling off', or just eliminate the preposition altogether as I did in my example.

Otherwise, if you want to keep the idea of them being ready for the next step, then "After cooling, the blades are ready to be ground to the proper shape and dimensions."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

The blades are to be ground in s ready-to-use manner.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I don't know what you mean.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm OK with "grinded" as the past tense of what the machine tool "grinding" operation does.

If you are saying that the parts need to be made to the proper shape and dimensions, then you don't need to say anything about them being "ready." If it's to the final dimensions, then it is obviously ready.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

There is something I need to explain. I know that it is wrong to use "grinded" instead of "ground" but I, for one, am forced to use the improper "grinded" in correspondence and work specifications because most German-speaking customers and agents do not understand the proper "ground" and associate it with earth or ground in German.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I have always thought that "grinded" is incorrect in BrE but have just found out that it is accepted in AmE.
    http://grammarist.com/usage/grinded/
    I am not a teacher.