• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

to get to know

"He was difficult to get to know, but we had a rapport and I respected him." (From The Guardian.)

What does the verb phrase "to get to know" exactly mean in the above context?

Thank you.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 05-Sep-2015 at 12:05. Reason: Enlarged font to make it readable

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: to get to know

It means to gradually learn more about someone or to become familiar with someone. When you first meet someone, you don't know anything about them. The more time you spend with them, the more you learn about them. That is referred to as "getting to know someone".
    If someone is "hard to get to know", it means that it is difficult to become more familiar with them or to learn much about them. They might be a very private person who does not like to reveal many personal details.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Tkacka:

When I saw your thread title, I immediately thought of a musical and a motion picture that had a song with these two lines:

"Getting to know you. / Getting to know all about you."

Because of strict American and British copyright laws, I dare not quote any more lines.

The musical (live performance on stage) and the motion picture were based on a novel about a young lady who goes to an Asian country to teach.

Please google these words: "Getting to know you" lyrics

(I know that the lyrics will delight you. They are so nice and wholesome and sweet and inspirational. )

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

To save you the effort of all that Googling, here's a link to the song in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNANgFCYpk
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Thank you, The Parser, for the reply. The song is beautiful, indeed. That's been the best way to learn the "to get to know" meaning.