• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Problem with "whom" containing sentence

Hello!

I have recently written a short text, but I'm struggling with one sentence.
    It's "The man to whom the last sentence was adressed". Should it rather be "The man who the last sentence was adressed to"?

I tried to look for general rules of word "whom" usage, but I didn't manage to resolve my problem.

How should a sentence like this look? Is any of these I have written above correct?

Thank you for visiting and reading my thread!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Problem with "whom" containing sentence

Quote Originally Posted by HToaster View Post
    Hello!

I have recently written a short text, but I'm struggling with one sentence.
    It's "The man to whom the last sentence was addressed". Should it rather be "The man who the last sentence was addressed to"?

I tried to look for general rules of word "whom" usage, but I didn't manage to resolve my problem.

How should a sentence like this look? Is any either of the sentences I have written above correct?

Thank you for visiting and reading my thread!
    Welcome to the forum.

Both "The man to whom the last sentence was addressed ..." and "The man who the last sentence was addressed to ..." are acceptable openings to a longer sentence. Neither is a complete sentence.

Note the correct spelling of "addressed".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, HToaster:

You have already received the answer. May I just add a few points that may interest you? The following is my opinion.

1. "The man to whom the last sentence was addressed is my best friend." This is the most formal sentence possible. In 2015, very few people would speak or even write like this. Grammatically, however, it is correct. After a preposition (such as "to") the pronoun should be in the objective case.

2. "The man whom the last sentence was addressed to is my best friend." This is also considered too formal -- because of the word "whom." But some people are more ready to accept this sentence than #1. The distance between "whom" and "to" seems to make it a little more acceptable to people who do not use "whom."

3. "The man who the last sentence was addressed to is my best friend." THIS sentence is the one that almost everyone would say and write in 2015.

a. If you happen to have a very strict teacher who goes by the rules, then s/he would mark it as incorrect. (Please see my comments about sentence #1.)

Most experts tell us that the word "whom" is disappearing, except in a few set phrases, such as "To whom it may concern."

A few experts feel that "whom" is a fine word and should be kept, especially in writing.

I am an elderly person who firmly believes that people should use "whom," especially in writing (I admit that it takes more energy to say "whom" than it takes to say "who.")

Which word to use, of course, is your decision.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****
    3. "The man who the last sentence was addressed to is my best friend." THIS sentence is the one that almost everyone would say and write in 2015.
    TheParser, I'd even go further than that and say that 'The man the last sentence was addressed to is my best friend' appears to be commoner.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 06-Sep-2015 at 15:28. Reason: Fixed minor typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    1. "The man to whom the last sentence was addressed is my best friend." This is the most formal sentence possible. In 2015, very few people would speak or even write like this. Grammatically, however, it is correct. After a preposition (such as "to") the pronoun should be in the objective case.
    I don't think that this context requires the formality of to whom, so it sounds a bit odd, but in formal writing whom is still used. Very few BrE speakers use it naturally in speech nowadays.