• English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Question Maybe

Hello,
    This sentence,

"Maybe the crystal size is around ...." should i add comma(,) between maybe and the??

Warmest Regards,

-kahhong

Re: Maybe

Here's a great piece of advice:

"Listen" to what you are writing. Imagine you are speaking the sentence instead of writing it. If you come to a point where you would give a word a slight inflection or emphasis and pause, you probably could use a comma. A sentence that flows without a pause doesn't need a comma.

Write the Right Word

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Here's a great piece of advice:
    "Listen" to what you are writing. Imagine you are speaking the sentence instead of writing it. If you come to a point where you would give a word a slight inflection or emphasis and pause, you probably could use a comma. A sentence that flows without a pause doesn't need a comma.
    Write the Right Word
    Hi, All:
    Then, Casiopea, I think that both versions are possible. The use of a comma would be then possible if one wants to emphasize the beginning of the sentence (i.e., "maybe"). Then, this "maybe" word would have a bit different meaning than it has without a comma. Of course it is easier to hear it in the spoken language than to express it in writing. (I would say then: "Maaybeeee, the crystal size is around... ") Are my concepts at least a bit correct and understandable?

Best,
    Nyggus

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus
    Hi, All:
    Then, Casiopea, I think that both versions are possible. The use of a comma would be then possible if one wants to emphasize the beginning of the sentence (i.e., "maybe"). Then, this "maybe" word would have a bit different meaning than it has without a comma. Of course it is easier to hear it in the spoken language than to express it in writing. (I would say then: "Maaybeeee, the crystal size is around... ") Are my concepts at least a bit correct and understandable?
    I would say you are absolutely correct. The sentence would have a comma if the emphasis should fall on 'maybe', and would not have one if the emphasis should fall on any other word.

I would agree.