• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

at quitting time and pickup where you left off in the morning - the whole sentence.

Hello once more time.

It s not a case where you can go home at quitting time and pickup where you left off in the morning.

In my opinion, the sentence means:

It s not a case of a person being allowed to go home when it's time for him to go home and starting again next morning pickup what/where you stopped (the previous day).

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: at quitting time and pickup where you left off in the morning - the whole sentenc

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    Hello once more time. Unnecessary.

It's not a case where you can go home at quitting time and pickup pick up where you left off in the morning.

In my opinion, the sentence means:

It's not a case of a person being allowed to go home when it's time for him to go home and starting again the next morning to pickup[pick up what/where you stopped (the previous day).

Thank you.
    See my changes above. There is really no need to keep opening your posts with "Hello/It's me again/Hello again/Last one for tonight" etc. Just go straight into your post. You omitted two apostrophes. They're important - you can't just leave a space instead. The verb is "to pick up" (separate words). "Pickup" is a noun.

It means "The case (whatever this unspecified case is) is not the kind of thing where you can just stop working on it because it's technically time to go home, and then start working on it again the next morning". It sounds like something legal - I'm sure police officers and lawyers (and similar) don't just stop working on a case because it's 5pm and then start again at 9am the next day, even if those are their official working hours.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: at quitting time and pickup where you left off in the morning - the whole sentenc

Which apostrophes do you mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

In the word "It's" - both times you wrote it in your post it appears as "It s". I added the apostrophes in red in the quote box in post #2. Can you not see them?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.