Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

Can anybody help me with the bold text?

When I next saw him his manner had assumed a species of change which I can only describe as hideous. It resembled the officious self-importance seen in a person of weak intellect, incapable of affairs, who goads himself with the exhortation, "to business! the time is short—I must even bestir myself!"

Vaila, M.P.Shiel, 1896

Thank you very much

J

J&K Tutoring

The dictionary I referred to lists more than one definition of the word affairs. Couldn't you find that one of them would suit this situation?

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I know about one or two online dictionaries (thefreedictionary.com is my favourite one) I consult before I ask here. The problem is that after googling the exact phrase "incapable of affairs" there were two different meanings. 1) he was incapable of affairs (with women); 2) he was incapable of affairs, that is to say, he was totally incompetent to do something on his own. I think the option number 2. is the right one; but why not ask somebody who is a native speaker if you are uncertain? :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's an old text, so the phrase sounds a bit odd, but I would go for the second. The rest of the context does not suggest to me that it is about affairs with women.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Yes, it's archaic, as in "incapable of managing his own affairs" or "incapable of managing business affairs".

J

J&K Tutoring

Johnyxxx: You have posted several questions lately about words and phrases that may have no practical application beyond understanding the specific passages they come from. I have no objection to your asking questions- that's what we are here for- but I like to help students learn things they can use again and again in their everyday life.

I suggest you find something more contemporary to read. Certainly no one on this site would discourage any reading, but reading classics and other archaic literature is not going to be a help in learning to communicate with today's English speakers.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Of course I improve my English by reading contemporary texts, interviews, newspapers, and so on.
Nevertheless, one of my hobbies is reading classic English horror stories but the problem is that the works of my favourite authors like Shiel, Machen, Hodgson or Blackwood have not been translated into my native Czech language (with several exceptions to the rule). Sometimes I come across something in their writing I cannot understand or I am not sure if I understand so at first I try to follow the elusive meaning on my own by using several methods (googling, using dictionaries etc.) and when I am out of my depth I consult this forum as a last resort.
That is all. :)

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

I see.

You are wasting my time for your hobby.

I think you have small respect for teachers and their time.

Last edited:

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have a deep respect for anybody who tries to help the others. And if you think I am wasting your time the solution is very simple - ignore me.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
(I really appreciate your contributions to the forums, but)
I don't think you have to say that, J&K Tutoring.
You could just leave Johny's future threads alone.
Anyone can ask any questions concerning the English language here, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think it is wasting people's time if they choose to answer- the questions will not benefit many other learners, as few will have an interest in 19th century horror stories written in dense, florid prose, but if that is what floats Johnyxxx's boat, then it seems OK to me.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I feel that some of Johnyxxx's questions may help him, and anyone else interested the classics, gain a greater understanding of how the language worked at the time when those books were written. They can then use those skills when reading other works from that era.

We get questions on all sorts of topics and I love that variety. If something doesn't interest me I just ignore it, because I know it will probably be someone else's area of interest or expertise. I am constantly amazed here, by the knowledge and skill of learners, people who are interested in language and of course the teachers.

I understand why J&K Tutoring believes that people should focus on more modern English, which does makes sense. However, I do think that, to a certain extent, a tendency to focus only on the very modern is to partly forget who we are and where we come from. But then again I was one of those sad people who actually enjoyed Shakespeare, and even Chaucer! :lol:

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well written, Eckaslike. I can imagine a lot of people would consider one to be an eccentric if one chooses to read stories written more than one hundred years ago (the more if the individual is not a native speaker) but at the same time I think reading an old-fashioned stuff cannot but enrich the reader. (of course, reading an obsolete story is not for anyone but I honestly believe one profits much more by reading two hundred years old Poe than modern Rowling. :) )

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I see.

You are wasting my time for your hobby.

I think you have small respect for teachers and their time.

You are not under any obligation to answer Johnyxxx's questions, or any other questions for that matter. I find his questions interesting and I think they are potentially helpful for any student wishing to have a greater understanding of English and how it is, and has been, used in literature.

Last edited:

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
(of course, reading a obsolete story is not for anyone but I honestly believe one profits much more by reading two hundred years old Poe than modern Rowling. :) )

I understand what you are saying, but actually JK Rowling is very talented and has an amazing imagination.

One of the advantages about some of the classics you are reading is the fact that not many people read them now. This means they usually haven't been made into a film, which might veer off hugely from the book's plot, including having a different ending. You get to read those books afresh, and can form your own ideas using your imagination and interpretation to fully experience each author's story.

J

J&K Tutoring

Sorry folks. Guess it just rubbed me the wrong way. Seems to me that this sort of topic belongs in the Literature forum.

Johnyxxx: If you like baffling things to read, try Tristram Shandy.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
(I really appreciate your contributions to the forums, but)
I don't think you have to say that, J&K Tutoring.
You could just leave Johny's future threads alone.
Anyone can ask any questions concerning the English language here, in my opinion.

That is certainly true in my opinion. We are not just about contemporary usage. In the past we have helped to translate an important and difficult work of American literature, written in long-forgotten slang, into Hungarian, and the translation was eventually published. As somebody said at the time, odds bodkins.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sorry folks. Guess it just rubbed me the wrong way. Seems to me that this sort of topic belongs in the Literature forum.

Johnyxxx: If you like baffling things to read, try Tristram Shandy.

No, I am not strictly in search of baffling things to read, J&K; I like reading authors like Shiel, Blackwood, Hodgson, Cline, Wells, Doyle, Wharton or Warren because I think their works are far cry from what is written in the horror/sci-fi/mystery/fiction genre today. In my humble opinion, the works of the afore-mentioned and often half-forgotten or almost forgotten classics are much more inventive, imaginative, florid, and, yes, sometimes baffling to read. That is the reason why I constantly consult this great forum for help.

But thanks for the tip. Maybe will give it a try. :)

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Tristram Shandy is a great work. You could also try Titus Groan if you haven't read it.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
You could also try The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings

I love those books, especially the Lord of the Rings. They are the only books I have read, having chosen to read them, three times.

There is something magical and ancient about his writing, but captured in a reasonably modern style.

But, I would suggest reading them in the story's chronological order, starting with The Hobbit before moving on to the trilogy.

You will gain a different experience than can be obtained by watching the films. The books contain much more, in the case of The Lord of The Rings, and for The Hobbit a lot less, than the films.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.