Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The famous and beloved and revered Florence Nightingale wrote the following words to a 92-year-old friend. (She underlined two words, not I.)

"Remember, you have promised not to ride out in the cold. Don't remember to forget."

When I read those last four words, I was stopped right in my tracks. I asked myself: What?!

Would someone please tell me what those four words mean in current English?

Thank you

Source: Mark Bostridge, Florence Nightingale (2008), Penguin Books.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
"Don't remember" is equal to "forget" if I understand it correctly. "Don't remember to forget" means "Forget to forget".

Now, the expression 'forget it' is used to emphasize that you're saying 'no' to something:
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/forget?q=Forget+
(Please scroll down to forget it #3.)

So, "Forget to forget" means "I'm saying 'no' to 'to forget'".

It's the same as "Don't forget", isn't it?

Hmm... Forget it!

:oops:

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
TheParser, it seems to me that Florence wanted to say, 'Remember not to forget', but in a more 'complicated' way.
I guess the two words underscored are given emphasis to by her.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I think she is playing with a well known phrase: "don't forget to remember [to do something]" (i.e. Don't forget) by simply turning it around the other way. She realises it doesn't make sense and so underlines the forget to illustrate to her friend that it is humorous word-play.

As the phrase has been turned around the other way, it now means "Don't remember", i.e. "Don't remember [to go horse riding in the cold because you've promised not to go].".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Thank you, Tzfujimino, Engee, Matthew Wai, and Eckaslike, very much for your thoughtful comments.

Before I posted, I did ask "Professor Google," but I found very little.

1. I did discover that a singer named Shakira had a video with a song entitled "Can't remember to forget you."

a. Even I can understand that (I think). I assume that those words mean something like: I don't want to think about you, so I tell myself to forget you, but I cannot remember to forget you.

2. Then I also discovered that someone named Bart Baker thought that it would be funny to make a parody of Shakira's song. He made a video with the title "Don't remember to forget me." (P.S. I doubt that he knew about the fact that dear Miss Nightingale had beaten him to the punch more than 100 years earlier!)

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm not a teacher and not a native speaker.

I think it is a play on words. I'd try to divide the saying in two imperatives. First the positive one - "Remember to forget", second the negative one made out of that positive one with "Don't" preceding it. I read it as "Remember not to forget".

Status
Not open for further replies.