Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Endorphin's rush our insides like water distributes through the millions of pores on an asphalt surface populated with tires competing with one another--the rubber surface of a tire continually battling for a vacant pore to achieve traction. That is what thieves feel when they steal because compulsive stealing is an addiction. They manifest a reason to avoid the consequences of managing their own doings because if they do not find a pore they may lose traction of their grades, and yet, expect to write work that is not their own. Plagiarism is the act of taking another individuals work and claiming it as their own—an additive crime so heinous it disrupts the balance of well-being and scholars.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there a question for us?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Who wrote the that text?

jesco

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Woohoo! I thought it looked grammatically correct...my morning classes are too early to visit the english writing center. Thanks for reading!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[1] I thought it looked grammatically correct. [2] the english writing center. !

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Jesco. May I just share a few thoughts?

1. I noticed some spelling mistakes.

a. endorphin's should be be endorphins.

b. another individuals work should be another individual's work.

c. additive should be addictive.

2. Kindly remember that the word English is always capitalized: the English Writing Center.

Congratulations on your paragraph. It was very interesting.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your analogy about the tires made no sense to me, I'm afraid.

I suggest students plagiarize because they are lazy, rather than an adrenaline rush. Perhaps shoplifters enjoy the thrill of stealing. Plagiarizers just want a good grade without doing the work.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I found that odd, but also I also thought "crime so heinous" was too extreme for the context.

To me, a heinous crime is a hideous crime like rape or murder, not plagiarism which may be wrong but is hardly on a par with those crimes.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know how an asphalt surface is populated with tires, nor how the tires compete with one another.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I found that odd, but also I also thought "crime so heinous" was too extreme for the context.

To me, a heinous crime is a hideous crime like rape or murder, not plagiarism which may be wrong but is hardly on a par with those crimes.

Furthermore, plagiarism is usually not a crime.

jesco

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My analogy is a bit weird i admit, but hopefully you may see it in a better light if you thought of the pores as cells or dopamine receptors? If a tire does not find a pore, it may hydroplane? The pores, water and rubber tire correlate between life or death..your body trying to find an equilibrium? I could definitely improve on that analogy if i were not limited with my limited grammar, lol.

jesco

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The god-awful realization of something you had thought was semi-good to the realization that it is complete retardation, haha. Critiquing is an extremely powerful function!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry. We didn't mean to be crushing. Was the purpose to write an extended metaphor?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I could definitely improve on that analogy if i were not limited with my limited grammar, lol.
I know you probably don't need another criticism right now, but you might make a writer one day, so it's potentially worth it: Limited grammar should not affect the ability to invent an analogy - just to correctly express it.

Status
Not open for further replies.