VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
While some previous posts mentioned blood, I doubt it was suggested in the OP's sentence, whose Chinese translation does not suggest it, but I am not a teacher.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Think what you want. It seems like you talk for everybody. What is the natural way you will say it?
Of course Piscean speaks only for himself. But many have wondered why you are so slow to understand. It might be an exercise for you to apply your best efforts to thinking about why 'heat' is not the same as 'bake' and let us know what you come up with.
Alternatively, you could choose to tell us what your learning difficulties are - simply in pursuit of us being able to respond better to you. Naturally you're not obliged to do any of this.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of course Piscean speaks only for himself. But many have wondered why you are so slow to understand. It might be an exercise for you to apply your best efforts to thinking about why 'heat' is not the same as 'bake' and let us know what you come up with.
Alternatively, you could choose to tell us what your learning difficulties are - simply in pursuit of us being able to respond better to you. Naturally you're not obliged to do any of this.

Can you tell me why it isn't the same?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"bake" to me is the same as "heat" or "heat up".

It's not the same- you bake things in ovens, but you can heat them up in many ways. Warming something in the microwave is not baking.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not the same- you bake things in ovens, but you can heat them up in many ways. Warming something in the microwave is not baking.

You can heat things in ovens. Right?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't have anything against you, but I also doubted you were a native speaker when you failed to understand what I, a Chinese person, could understand.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't have anything against you, but I also doubted you were a native speaker when you failed to understand what I, a Chinese person, could understand.

What did I fail to understand? and someone can be a native or not but there are people who aren't native and understand quick. They're just arguing about the definition and I started learning grammar this year.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can.

(I don't know why my post is appearing in italics.)

So isn't that the same as "bake in the oven"?

I don't see the italics.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. Read post #27 again.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. Read post #27 again.

I understood that. Why is "bake something in the oven" not the same as "heat something in the oven"?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What did I fail to understand?
You failed to understand why baking is not the same as heating, according to your question below.

Why is "bake something in the oven" not the same as "heat something in the oven"?
I think steaming also involves heating, yet it is not the same as heating, but I am not a teacher.

Last edited:

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
You can heat things in ovens. Right?

Not A Teacher

Yes but you can heat things in other ways than putting them in an oven. You can put a kettle on to heat water up to its boiling point, microwave some pasta, you can put lead into a crucible and heat it to melting point to cast metal soldiers and you can put the fire on to heat a room. All of these are heating something not all of them are cooking.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So isn't that the same as "bake in the oven"?
You can also defrost something in an oven. Would you consider 'defrosting' and 'baking' to be the same?

Not a teacher.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can also defrost something in an oven. Would you consider 'defrosting' and 'baking' to be the same?

It isn't the same but you are heating things using different things and to a different level/degree or aren't you?

Y'all say I don't understand but I think y'all don't understand me.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Baking is more than simply heating. It does transfer heat, but so does rubbing something. However, I'd bake bread in an oven rather than rub it with my hand in the hope that I could heat it up and turn it into a loaf.

Baking produces things like crusts. Microwaves are not renowned for their ability to produce the Maillard reaction. Poaching an egg is not the same as boiling or frying one, but all involve heat. It is not a question of the degree or presence of heat alone- the medium is the message in cooking. It is not a question of us not understanding your deductions. But maybe I am too stupid to get the brilliance of someone who has worked out that cooking involves heating things so there is no difference between frying/poaching/boiling/roasting, etc, etc.

I am closing this thread because I am not sure that any of us can take any more of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.