Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I came across the following sentence: Is it correct?

"In The Masque of the Red Death, all the guests to Prince Prosperous’ party would be still and silent whenever the tall Grandfather clock in the living-room chimed the hour."

I was taught not to use would in past states. That's why I have this doubt.

​Thanks in advance.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whoever taught you that was wrong. One of the common uses of "would" is to refer to past habitual action. This is the case in your sentence.

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I came across the following sentence: Is it correct?

"In The Masque of the Red Death, all the guests to Prince Prosperous’ party would be still and silent whenever the tall Grandfather clock in the living-room chimed the hour."

I was taught not to use would in past states. That's why I have this doubt.​Thanks in advance.

What is the context of this narrative? Is it a description of the event buried in the distant past? Isn't it a sort of "would" used in so called historical past like it is, for example, in the Bible?

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Prince Prospero, not Prince Prosperous.

It's a great short story by Edgar Allan Poe.

http://www.poemuseum.org/works-masque.php

It was within this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony. [Its] pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that, at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to hearken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and while the chimes of the clock yet rang[,] it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation. But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of Time that flies), there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.

EAP

--lotus

Last edited:

ronao

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Whoever taught you that was wrong. One of the common uses of "would" is to refer to past habitual action. This is the case in your sentence.

I meant that we can use 'would' when referring to habitual, repeated actions for instance: Every Saturday I would go on a long bike ride but not in: we would live in New York when I was a kid. Am I right?
Now, I don't know if my sentence in post #1 is correct.
Thank you in advance, MikeNewYork.

ronao

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
What is the context of this narrative? Is it a description of the event buried in the distant past? Isn't it a sort of "would" used in so called historical past like it is, for example, in the Bible?
I don´t know tkacka! I'm analysing sentences in isolation. I have no context.

tkacka15

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don´t know tkacka! I'm analysing sentences in isolation. I have no context.

There is a context. See the Lotus888's post.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your sentence in post 1 is correct. You are correct about "we would live in New York when I was a kid". That should have the verb "lived".

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
... or "we used to live in New York when I was a kid".
:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

ronao

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was taught not to use would in past states. That's why I have this doubt.

It's good advice, but that doesn't mean that no one ever uses would this way. However, I think your example has the meaning of would fall silent, making it an action- the striking of the clock would cause them to respond by keeping still an quiet. It is more of an action than a state here for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.