Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If the honor code functions in academic institutions of Russia, it will persuade pupils to be more responsible in many ways. By virtue of the fact that any student can be reported for an infraction by their colleagues, the set of rules will arouse learners to do everything on their own in order to avoid punishment. Consequently, it will impose on students an ability to complete a task single-handedly that likely to develop such attributes as self-reliance and independence.

I'm sorry for asking arid questions but I really want to understand how to write something like that.

The main thing that I want to know is whether the sentence above is logically correct. Can you follow the thread of discussion? :-?

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can anybody help? :oops:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please state the source and author of this clearly copyright text.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'm curious as to what makes you suspect it's copyright material.:roll:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It just sounds like it.

J

J&K Tutoring

The main thing that I want to know is whether the sentence above is logically correct. Can you follow the thread of discussion?

You are asking two rather different questions.

Yes, I can follow the thread of the 'discussion' though it's not really a discussion, as only one viewpoint is given.
I do not agree with the sentiment, so to me, it is not 'logically correct'.

"...it will impose on students an ability..." Impose is a synonym of force. We cannot force an ability on someone else. Instill (in) would be a better choice.

Last edited:

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's written by me. The only source is my head.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In addition to J&K's point:

1. I don't feel the word "colleagues" is the right word.
(It depends on what you mean by "colleagues", but "peers" might be a better choice.)
2. I can see "pupils", "any student", "learners" and "students" in the passage. It seems (to me) that you're using these different words to refer to the same kind of people (=students). Is there a particular reason for you to do so?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The multiple threads have it confusing for me.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
If the code of honor [STRIKE]code functions[/STRIKE] succeeds in academic institutions of Russia, it will persuade [STRIKE]pupils[/STRIKE] students to be more responsible in many ways. By virtue of the fact that any student misconduct can be reported by any other student, [STRIKE]for an infraction by their colleagues,[/STRIKE] the code [STRIKE]set of rules will arouse[/STRIKE] will encourage students to abide by the rules [STRIKE]learners to do everything on their own[/STRIKE] in order to avoid punishment. [STRIKE]Consequently,[/STRIKE] Additionally, the code entices students to be self-reliant and to work independently. [STRIKE]it will impose on students an ability to complete a task single-handedly that likely to develop such attributes as self-reliance and independence.[/STRIKE]

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In addition to J&K's point:

1. I don't feel the word "colleagues" is the right word.
(It depends on what you mean by "colleagues", but "peers" might be a better choice.)
2. I can see "pupils", "any student", "learners" and "students" in the passage. It seems (to me) that you're using these different words to refer to the same kind of people (=students). Is there a particular reason for you to do so?

Yes, there is. I was trying to avoid making repetition.

Status
Not open for further replies.