Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I saw that this topic has been addressed previously, but the thread was closed.

I wanted to offer my personal take on how to use these terms correctly. :)

Practically can be associated with the idea of "in practice". For example, you could say "In a small town, practically everyone is on a first-name basis with the mayor."

Whereas virtually can be associated with "the virtues of". For example, "These two pencils are virtually indistinguishable." Meaning both pencils possess the same virtues. In this sentence, practically could be substituted without a problem (as both pencils are the same "in practice" as well), but virtually seems to be more appropriate as it refers to the inherent qualities of the pencils, not the practice of using them.

Just my take on it! Any other views?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think virtually has come to have a much greater and more subtle meaning than "associated with the virtues of." It means almost identical to, not actually but in the sense of an electronic simile.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Virtually" has nothing to do with "virtues".

YesEnglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think virtually has come to have a much greater and more subtle meaning than "associated with the virtues of." It means almost identical to, not actually but in the sense of an electronic simile.

Yes, modern use of "virtually" now includes (and is used almost exclusively in the context of) the digital/electronic definition :)

But for the real origin of the word, see my reply to MikeNewYork in this thread.

YesEnglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is not the 15th century.

See the definitions here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/virtually

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the origin of virtually definitely stems from the idea of virtues, or qualities.

The point of this thread was to examine the semantic differences between virtually and practically, not arbitrarily declare that the actual root of a word doesn't matter.

By the way, you may want to use more definitive sources than the Free Dictionary.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have not burst any bubbles. The American Heritage Dictionary is definitive enough for me. It was written in this century.

Status
Not open for further replies.