[Grammar] he started noticing changes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
In the sentences below, I'm unsure if the words "noticing" and "making" are gerunds. The respective verbs are "started" and "stopped" I think.

- He started noticing changes in his sister

- His body has stopped making insulin.

It's embarrassing that i'm somewhat slow in identifying gerunds :-( Although I've read up on gerunds, I'm still unclear as to when it's a gerund and when it's a "to + infinitive" :oops:

Thank you for teaching me....thank you for your patience.

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
'noticing' and 'making' are gerunds?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's embarrassing that i'm somewhat slow in identifying gerunds :-( Although I've read up on gerunds, I'm still unclear as to when it's a gerund and when it's a "to + infinitive" :oops:

Thank you for teaching me....thank you for your patience.

Don't be embarrassed ;-) - this is a feature often described in confusing terms. Some people use the term gerund as though it simply meant "verb form ending with -ing". Some people distinguish between a verbal noun ending -ing (a gerund) and a present participle. English doesn't distinguish formally between I like eating (gerund) and I am eating (present participle).

You can teach/learn English without caring about the difference, and some teachers don't bother with it for that reason. But many languages do distinguish between the two; so if your own language marks this distinction, it's something you'll be aware of (and you can mark it down as something that English simplifies).

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think the distinction is that difficult. If it is a verb form ending in -ing, and it functions as a noun, it is a gerund. There is nothing mysterious about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.