Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yuanjiajie is located in the Zhangjiajie National Forest Park. It is a naturally formed platform mountain, surrounded by higher summits which are divided by deep valleys. You will walk on the mountains’ edge and watch clouds rise from beneath your feet.

What do you mean by "platform mountain"? A very tall mountain?

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am really curious what others have to say about your question. I have read several books on climbing but never come across the phrase "platform mountain." I think it has nothing to do with how high the mountain is but how it looks like. I would imagine the mountain top is flat, maybe with natural platforms overhanging the deep valleys below.

Not a Teacher (and not a mountaineer. :) )

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It's non-native. Where did you come across that text?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with teechar, it's non-native. 'Platform' to me sounds like a mistranslation of 'plateau', or perhaps similar geological formations such as 'mesa' or even 'butte'.

However, I've seen pictures of Yuanjiajie before, having attempted an oil painting of it. Although it's really quite beautiful, I would describe those formations more as 'pillars'.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You are right, Skrej; I took a look at pictures of Yuanjiajie a moment before and it looks more like "rock towers" than "platform formation".

Status
Not open for further replies.