English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi,

I'm a non-native English teacher and I work for an Italian military school, where I also develop Web-based learning units in SCORM.

Right now, I'm doing research into e-learning applied to language teaching and, recently, I was given the task of preparing some presentations for colleagues who may be interested in this field.

A few days ago I was told to prepare my presentation in Italian but, when I found that in the audience there were some attendees who did not understand my native language, I decided to give it in English.

I have uploaded the video of my presentation to YouTube and you can watch it through the following link:

In an effort to improve myself, there are a few questions I would like to ask the members of usingenglish.com who are English/American/Canadian/Australian etc. native speakers and who cannot speak Italian:

(1) Are you able to understand everything I say or does my Italian accent/pronunciation prevent you from grasping some of my sentences? In the latter case, to what percentage is what I say unclear?

(2) What expressions used in my presentation would you definitely change to make it easier to follow?

(3) If you found my English unclear, what advice would you give me to improve my accent/pronunciation/diction and/or vocabulary?

Thanks in advance.

Pasquale
Perugia, Italy

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, Pasquale.:)
Welcome to UsingEnglish.com.

I'm not a native speaker of English, but may I say a few words?

I personally like your speaking English with an Italian accent.:)
The only problem I have is that you tend to speak quite fast in that video clip, which makes it hard for me (at least:oops:) to catch what you're saying.

If you speak more slowly, your presentation will be more understandable to non-native speakers like me.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi,

Thanks for you advice.

Yes, I had figured that out by myself. Anyway, in this particular case, the reason for it is because I was given half an hour for a presentation that usually takes one hour in my native language. In the classroom, my way of speaking is very much slower.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't watch the entire tape (too long), but as an AmE speaker, I understood you very well.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I love Italian accents.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It sounded fine to me (British English speaker). Depending on the audience, you might consider slowing it down a bit if they're less accustomed to listening to long talks in English, but this is a problem that native speakers have too.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
It sounded fine to me (British English speaker). Depending on the audience, you might consider slowing it down a bit if they're less accustomed to listening to long talks in English, but this is a problem that native speakers have too.

Thanks, next time I'll make an effort and try to speak slower.

If I want to be self-critical, I'd say that I need to work hard on my accent that sounds recognisably Italian. I'm aware some people may even like it but I feel that an English teacher should be able to speak in a neutral way.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I could guess your nationality easily enough, but I don't see that as much of a problem as long as you are readily understood.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm Australian. I understood it well.
I guess you know that you could work on not ending all your words with a vowel. Maybe when you speak fast and get into a rhythm, that's something difficult to do. Very few Italians achieve it, I find. But there's no 'neutral' English accent.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I could guess your nationality easily enough, but I don't see that as much of a problem as long as you are readily understood.

Thanks. Anyway, getting rid of my foreign accent is also a question of self-esteem for me, as I am an English teacher. So, I think I'll have to roll up my sleeves and work hard on it.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm Australian. I understood it well.
I guess you know that you could work on not ending all your words with a vowel. Maybe when you speak fast and get into a rhythm, that's something difficult to do. Very few Italians achieve it, I find. But there's no 'neutral' English accent.

Yes, the -a ending to lots of words is one of my nightmares and I need to work on it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.