[Grammar] Pair or pairing? [the relation between sound and meaning is an arbitrary pairing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I want to know can I recruit "pair" as a noun instead of "pairing" in the following sentence?

These examples show that the relation between sound and meaning is an arbitrary pairing, as discussed in chapter1.

I have got another question which I think it is somehow related to the above question.

Consider we have a verb like "live." The noun of the "live" is "life." In addition we can make another noun (living) using gerund.

The question arises here is what's the difference between life and living? I mean some verbs have their own nouns but we can generate other nouns for them via gerund!

If I want to choose a title for my book, which of the two following choices are appropriate?

1) Worth life

2) Worth living

Which of the sentences below is correct?

1) I envy his worth life.

2) I envy his worth living.

Thank you in advance,

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to know can I recruit "pair" as a noun instead of "pairing" in the following sentence?

No, not really. "Pairing" emphasizes that someone paired the two together.

It is not clear what you think "worth life" or "worth living" means. Your sentences don't make sense.

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No, not really. "Pairing" emphasizes that someone paired the two together.

It is not clear what you think "worth life" or "worth living" means. Your sentences don't make sense.

Consider I have two nouns (the verb noun "life," and another which I created it by gerund "living.") how should I understand that the using of one of them is correct and another one is wrong?

What about this one?

1) valuable life
2) valuable living

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would say 'a valuable/liveable life', but I am not a teacher.

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Both are possible. As always, conntext is vital.

I mean using them as a title of a book. Also please look at the two sentences above which I mentioned them in the first post. Your first language is English, as a native speaker which one of them is correct?

I'm writing with my mobile phone and I'm not so comfortable with it. If you look at the first post you can see a sentence which I put it in quotation marks. I asked is it correct to use pairing instead of pair? An English user answered it is not correct but didn't mention it why it is not correct?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Your first language is English, as a native speaker which one of them is correct?
My first language is not English, but I think neither is correct unless 'worth' is replaced with 'valuable', according to post#5 above.

Not a teacher.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I mean using them as a title of a book. Also please look at the two sentences above which I mentioned
Neither is correct. Read post 2 again, in which your questions are all answered.
Here's the relevant sentence from that post: "Your sentences don't make sense."

It might have been a lot easier if you had posted one question only per post. Then you would not have to go back and forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.