Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have noticed a recent trend to pluralize the noun following a number. Some examples include "ten days war" and "A 3 Years Warranty". This seems common practice in English speaking European countries but I have always felt it read awkwardly here in the U.S. I would love to know your opinion on this.

IMG_4447_zpshg5lye6b.jpg

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use either ten days' war or a ten-day war. Ten days war is neither fish nor fowl and doesn't work for me.

F1Addict

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would expect that answer from a British English speaker, as I wrote above, I realize it's common practice there. However, I was more curious as to the American perspective. In all of my life I have never pluralized the unit of time in this context.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This AmE speaker agrees with Tdol.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The OP seemed to be looking for another opinion.

F1Addict

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The OP seemed to be looking for another opinion.

Not far from true but I'm not expecting blind agreement. I was hoping for some etymology or evidence of historical usage in the U.S. so that I had a better understanding. I've posed this question and offered the same examples to several of my friends and they have all responded negatively to the pluralization of the time unit. A few of these friends are teachers, there's a middle school principal, even professors of English. All agree that "24 HourS Drive-thru" sounds and reads awkward as do the other examples. I consulted both the Chicago Manual of Style and The Elements of Style and both concur with my opinion yet I continue to find this odd usage. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I had ever read the phrase "A 3-years Guarantee" and I remember thinking how silly it was, then. My boss (at the time) was Jamaican by birth but a graduate of both Oxford and Cambridge and insisted on the odd phrasing whenever I wrote an RFQ/RFP.

For the most part, my search for understanding is just entertainment. The "s" does annoy me, though :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I find the "s" equally strange and slightly annoying. For me, it should read "24-hour Drive-Thru", although I realise that the hyphen would look odd given that "24" and "hour" aren't on the same line. It surprises me that they bothered with the hyphen for "Drive-Thru" but failed to use one correctly above it.

For me, for "24 hours" to be used, I would need to change it to "Drive-Thru: Open 24 Hours". No hyphen obviously.

I'll save my dislike of "thru" for a different thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.