• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Investigating versus Investigation [The investigation of those ...]

Hello,

I want to know what's the difference between sentence number 1 and 2? Do they convey the same meaning?

The investigation of those assumptions and expectations provides us with some insights into how more is always being communicated than is said.
    Investigation of those assumptions and expectations provides us with with some insights into how more is always being communicated than is said.
    Investigating and Investigation are both noun. at the sentence number 1, the author beings the sentence with an article (the). We know that we can use an article before a noun. on the other hand "investigating" is a noun too. Can I put an article before it like the sentence below? if I cannot, would you please explain more why?

The investigating of those assumptions and expectations provides us with some insights into how more is always being communicated than is said.

I would also like to know what are the differences between the noun of a verb like (investigation) and the noun created by gerund like (investigating).

Thank you in advance,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Investigating versus Investigation [The investigation of those ...]

"Investigating" doesn't work in that sentence with or without the article. It could work, without the article, if you delete "of".
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer