• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

to be

a) He wanted to be honest. And one forced him to promise it. If I want to combine these two information in an one sentence like the following one, will it be correct?

1) He was promised to be honest in life.

b) He was worthy for the post. And he proved it. If I combine these two information and write-

2) He proved himself to be complement/worthy for the post.

will it be correct?

c) We will be careful about our enemies. And for this we will have to collect information. Can I write:

3) We will have to collect information to be careful about our enemies.

At the same way can I write

4) He takes time to be normal in conduct.

5) We will be serious to be successful in the examination.

If you think that there are alternative ways to rewrite these 5 sentences, please mention it.

Thanks to every member of this forum.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: to be

Quote Originally Posted by Azah View Post
    a) He wanted to be honest. And one forced him to promise it. If I want to combine these two information in an one sentence like the following one, will it be correct?

1) He was promised to be honest in life.

The part in bold is unnatural and unclear. However, your sentence is not correct. He promised to be honest, as he himself wanted to be. -- That's one choice.

b) He was worthy for the post. And he proved it. If I combine these two information and write-

2) He proved himself to be complement/worthy for the post.

will it be correct?
    Use "worthy" as in the original

c) We will be careful about our enemies. And for this we will have to collect information. Can I write:

3) We will have to collect information to be careful about our enemies.

That's okay.

At the same way can I write

I don't know what you mean by being "normal" in conduct.

5) We will be serious to be successful in the examination.

If you think that there are alternative ways to rewrite these 5 sentences, please mention it.
    How about "He will be serious in his preparation for the examination." Your original was not natural.

Thanks to every member of this forum.
    When you have such unrelated sentences, it's a good idea to start new threads.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Thanks Barb_D for your nice explanation.

When some people get up from bed, they can not understand where they are. If anyone ask question to them, they can not give answer. After some time, this kind of people start to behave like a normal man. In my sentence 3 "He" is such kind of people. And by the sentence 3, I wanted to write that he takes time to be normal in his behaviour. But I didn't want to write the information about sleeping and getting up from bed.

We were not serious about our examination. But now we want to be successful, and we are serious about it (being successful). Hence I wrote "We will be serious to be successful in the examination" (sentence no 5).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm glad you started a new thread for the "success" question.

I don't know what you mean by being "normal" in conduct.

When some people get up from bed, they can not understand where they are. If anyone ask question to them, they can not give answer. After some time, this kind of people start to behave like a normal man. In my sentence 3 "He" is such kind of people. And by the sentence 3, I wanted to write that he takes time to be normal in his behaviour. But I didn't want to write the information about sleeping and getting up from bed.
    You can't simply say "It takes him awhile to become normal" without more explanation.
    He is not very with-it in the morning.
    He's not a morning person.
    It takes him a while to get going when he wakes up.
    He's not quite right when he wakes up; it takes him a while to get his act together.

I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.