Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 87
    #1

    I'm a big fan of (the)?

    I need help with this sentence: " I'm a big fan of the dark rums."

    Is it OK to put "the" before "dark rums"? Or should I just say: I'm a big fan of dark rums?

  2. Piscean's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 11,782
    #2

    Re: I'm a big fan of (the)?

    Don't use 'the'. I am a big fan of rum/dark rum/dark rums.

    I would say use uncountable rum rather than plural rums.

  3. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 87
    #3

    Re: I'm a big fan of (the)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    Don't use 'the'. I am a big fan of rum/dark rum/dark rums.

    I would say use uncountable rum rather than plural rums.
    Why remove "the"?

  4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,423
    #4

    Re: I'm a big fan of (the)?

    It is possible either way. If trying to draw a distinction between dark and light rums, especially.

    "Rums" is fine, too. There are different varieties/makes of dark rum.

  5. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 87
    #5

    Re: I'm a big fan of (the)?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    It is possible either way. If trying to draw a distinction between dark and light rums, especially.

    "Rums" is fine, too. There are different varieties/makes of dark rum.
    Is it possible to replace "the" with "a"? If not, why? "I'm a big fan of a dark rums.

  6. Piscean's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 11,782
    #6

    Re: I'm a big fan of (the)?

    Quote Originally Posted by ucul View Post
    Is it possible to replace "the" with "a"? If not, why? "I'm a big fan of a dark rums.
    No. we use 'a' before singular nouns. 'Rums' is plural.

  7. Eckaslike's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 574
    #7

    Re: I'm a big fan of (the)?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    It is possible either way. If trying to draw a distinction between dark and light rums, especially.

    "Rums" is fine, too. There are different varieties/makes of dark rum.
    This appears to be another minor difference between AmE and BrE.

    I would still use "dark rum" without "the".

    In the same way that you can say "I'm a big fan of red wine" (as opposed to white wine) even though there are thousands of varieties of each.

    In AmE can you say "I'm a big fan of the red wines"?

  8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,423
    #8

    Re: I'm a big fan of (the)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eckaslike View Post
    This appears to be another minor difference between AmE and BrE.

    I would still use "dark rum" without "the".

    In the same way that you can say "I'm a big fan of red wine" (as opposed to white wine) even though there are thousands of varieties of each.

    In AmE can you say "I'm a big fan of the red wines"?
    Yes. But more usually as a contrast. You can say, unprompted, "I like red wine" or "I like red wines."

    But in a conversation like this:

    Do you like Chardonnay?

    No, I'm more of a fan of the red wines.
    The "the" seems more natural to me. But it could be either way.

  9. Eckaslike's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 574
    #9

    Re: I'm a big fan of (the)?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Yes. But more usually as a contrast. You can say, unprompted, "I like red wine" or "I like red wines."

    But in a conversation like this:

    Do you like Chardonnay?

    No, I'm more of a fan of the red wines.

    The "the" seems more natural to me. But it could be either way.
    Very interesting Dave, because even then I wouldn't use "the". I would still say:

    "No, I'm more a fan of red wine."

    Your version doesn't sound that odd to me, it's just that I wouldn't use it.

    Perhaps others might say what they think, because we might just be looking at it from two regional varieties of AmE and BrE respectively.

  10. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 26,076
    #10

    Re: I'm a big fan of (the)?

    I don't see any problem either way. I would accept it with or without the article.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

    — Arthur Schopenhauer

Similar Threads

  1. I'm no big fan of ... / I don't really enjoy ...
    By herbivorie in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2013, 15:12
  2. big break? = big success or just a breakthrough?
    By keannu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2011, 20:13
  3. Are you a big fan of them/ thiers?
    By optimistic pessimist in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2010, 04:43
  4. Big children - big problems
    By Clark in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2009, 14:44
  5. Big children means big problems.
    By Clark in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2008, 14:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •