How do I improve my writing ability for art history papers/essays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sondra

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello,

Could you please suggest some books to mprove( art history) essay writing skills?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

jillie33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
essay writing skills.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Sondra:

Here is some advice that I have collected over the years from writing experts.

1. Write short sentences.

2. Use words that do NOT send people running to their dictionaries.

3. Avoid foreign expressions, if possible.

4. After you have written your essay, review it. You will be able to cut out a lot of unnecessary words. Then review it again and cut out more words. Cut! Cut! Cut!

Believe it or not, some students think that they can sit down, dash off an essay, and then hand it in to the instructor. Unbelievable!

5. Do not write: "I am now going to tell you ...." Just tell them. And don't write: "And in conclusion ...." Just conclude and then stop.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Writing about art history is going to require knowledge of a good deal of specialized jargon.

Parser's suggestions #2 and #3 may not apply as much when writing about this particular subject, as many of the names for the various techniques and terminology in art are loan words from other languages, particularly Italian and French.

You could start by focusing on vocabulary, making sure you know all the words for materials and techniques. It also encompasses architecture, so there will be a good deal of architectural vocabulary to familiarize yourself with as well.

The other aspect of art history involves the history - make sure you're familiar with all your basic art periods, styles, and movements.

Having sat through numerous art history classes as a student, it's mostly remembering names (of artists, styles, movements, and techniques) and dates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.