Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
For the bold sentence, as interpreted, it refers to the richs could pay abundantly for waiving poor's right so that the matter of trust or land could not be fairly adjudicated even it was arbitrated in the Court of Chancery.

Please let me know if my interpretation is wrong. Thanks.

This is the Court of Chancery, which has its decaying houses and its blighted lands
in every shire, which has its worn-out lunatic in every madhouse and its dead in every churchyard, which has its ruined suitor with his slipshod heels and threadbare dress borrowing and begging through the round of every man's acquaintance, which gives to monied might the means abundantly of wearying out the right, which so exhausts finances, patience, courage, hope, so overthrows the brain and breaks the heart, that there is not an honourable man among its practitioners who would not give—who does not often give—the warning, "Suffer any wrong that can be done you rather than come here!"

Last edited:

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
To me it essentially means that "the richest party in a case will easily beat someone with less money, by wearing them down, even when that poorer person's argument is the one which should actually win".

That is why the writer ends with: "Suffer any wrong that can be done you rather than come here!" [The Court of Chancery], because unless you are the richest party you stand no hope of obtaining justice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.