• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

a verb before subject (I need help with it,please)

As i know in English language almost always verbs comes after a subject. So it´s wrong to say this phrase "American people got independence on the 4th of July because that day was sighed the Declaration of Independence and arose political term of independence" Should i change the phrase and put all the verbs after the subjects? Or everything is correct? Thanks so much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: a verb before subject (I need help with it,please)

I think the 1st phrase is OK, though a little unusual like that- the 2nd seems awkward because the words "that day" are not attached to it. (on that day would work better in the 1st one.)
    It sounds rather over-stylish. Reminds me of something like "on that day was the world made"..... a bit archaic or poetic.....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelieveYourDream View Post
    As i know in English language almost always verbs comes after a subject. So it´s wrong to say this phrase "American people got independence on the 4th of July because that day was sighed the Declaration of Independence and arose political term of independence" Should i change the phrase and put all the verbs after the subjects? Or everything is correct? Thanks so much!

Because is far too strong. The signing of the declaration itself was far from causing independence. A long and difficult ensuing war was necessary to achieve that.

"That day was signed (not sighed) the Declaration of Independence" is far less natural than "That was the day the declaration of independence was signed."

"and arose political term of independence" is so ungrammatical as to be difficult to interpret. I guess you mean that the era of political independence began at the time of the signing.

Subjects usually precede verbs, but there are exceptions, and for now, those exceptions are the least of your problems. You have much bigger grammatical fish to fry.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, BelieveYourDream:

May I gently make a few suggestions?

1. It is very important in English to always capitalize the personal pronoun I.

2. We usually refer to "The American people."

3. "in English" or "in the English language."

4. "As i know" should be "As I understand it."

5. "Everything is correct" becomes "Is everything correct?" in the question. (When the verb is a form of "be," just move the verb to the front of the sentence in order to make the question.)