[Essay] I want to pusue MS in USA. Plz look into my statement of Purpose and give suggesstion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bshreya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Research has always fascinated me from a very young age. The very thought that my work can help the common people of the entire world has motivated to pursue a career in the field of research. So, I intend to pursue MS in Information Security from Carnegie Mellon University. During my undergraduate education I had interests in many subjects such as Data Structures, Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Compiler design and Computer Network; however cryptology has always been my particular area of interest. Information is very valuable in today’s globalized market so I would like to work on new methods and algorithms to secure valuable information.
I was interested in technology from a very young age. However, it was difficult for my family to accept that I wanted to build a career as a Computer Engineer given the fact that both my parents have a profession in Medicine. Naturally, everyone in my family especially my mother expected me to carry on with my father’s profession as a Medical practitioner and help mankind. However, I always believed that the rate at which humans are getting dependent on technology, in future technology will be the greatest help to mankind. I have always tried to do something beneficial for the society. So, I had joined an N.G.O to help the unprivileged people in rural places during my school vacations.
My interest in Computer Science grew when I was introduced to programming languages in 8[SUP]th[/SUP] standard in my school. I was always good in mathematics and solving puzzles was my hobby, so it was not much difficult for me to work with loops and data structures. I had learnt Java, C and C++ at school itself. It was then I had decided to take up a major in Computer Science and Engineering for my undergraduate studies. Although I had scored 89.9% in my 10[SUP]th[/SUP] standard and 82% in my 12[SUP]th[/SUP] standard, due to my average scores in Entrance Exams, I did not get an opportunity to study in any of the IITs (Indian Institute of Technology) or NITs (National Institute of Technology) . I have studied in Nagarjuna College of Engineering and Technology, Bangalore which is a college under Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) in Karnataka and have pursued a Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) in Computer Science and Engineering. I have passed out with an aggregate of 74% , First Class Distinction Certificate. Although the curriculum approved by our University provided a structured and detailed knowledge of all the fields in Computer Science, I realized that it was more important to gain a thorough knowledge of my subjects, and therefore never constricted my field of study to the immediate purview of the syllabus. I have made it a point to keep myself updated about the latest developments by attending various seminars and workshops.

My interests grew in data structures and algorithms. Coding algorithms became my hobby. Working with linked lists, heaps, traversing algorithms was all very fascinating. Encrypting and decrypting algorithms were my main area of interest. When I learnt HTML and CSS, I practically looked the html codes of all the webpages I used to browse to learn how to design a better webpage. The Laboratories were my area of expertise where I always maintained a consistent performance.

I had attended a two day workshop on Android Application Development in college and was overwhelmed with the idea given that we practically use tons of android applications in our smartphones every day. A two day workshop could not satisfy my insatiable thirst, so I took one month training on Mobile Application Development using IBM worklight under IBM. Using IBM Worklight to develop mobile applications was actually easy because it uses HTML and CSS for the frontend design and JAVA for the backend and once the application has been developed it can be converted to run on any Operating System platform be it Android, Windows or iOS. I have worked on a project called “Hail and Go” which was a simple cab reservation mobile application where I used GPS to track the cabs available at particular range from the location of the user, and the user can then reserve a cab that is available at the nearest location to its own. The training gave me a professional experience on how to implement a real time project. It was overwhelming to see how small segments of code could transform an idea into reality. It gave me a greater perception in coding and handling real time projects.
However, my primary area of interest had always been information security, although I did not get any opportunity to get any formal certification on that subject except a two day workshop on Cyber Tech and Hacking which grew my interest more for information security. I have given a seminar on Bitcoins in my final year seminar. While researching on Bitcoins I came across some cryptographic algorithms that are used such as SHA-256, which motivated me to learn more about the subject.
In my final year project I was accompanied by three of my classmates to design a payment gateway for e-commerce sites. Given that e-commerce has reached great magnitude in the globalized market my main motive behind working with this project was to present something that can be implemented and used globally. Automated secured payment gateway was basically designed to prevent the flaws of the cash on delivery system provided by the e-commerce websites and also avoiding the frauds that take place in online transactions. For the frontend design of the gateway we used HTML and CSS and the backend operations were performed using JAVA codes that interacted with the databases. While working in the project we had to dig into a lot of aspects we didn’t know before. The project helped me enhance my skills in handling large databases. It also gave me a deeper perception of the uses of security algorithms.
The MS in Information Security program provided by Carnegie Mellon University concentrates on almost all the fields where Information security can be applied to reduce risks and vulnerability of data. It also provides an understanding in how information security and systems can be applied in business management functions and marketing. I feel that the research facilities at your university provide an ideal environment for intellectual development in my chosen field of interest and will help me attain my career goals. I would be grateful to you, if you allow me pursue my graduate studies from your institution.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Sir or Madam,

Research has always fascinated me, and [STRIKE]from a very young age.[/STRIKE] the very thought that my work can help [STRIKE]the common[/STRIKE] ordinary people [STRIKE]of the entire world[/STRIKE] has motivated me to pursue a career in [STRIKE]the field of[/STRIKE] research. [STRIKE]So, I intend to pursue MS in Information Security from Carnegie Mellon University.[/STRIKE]

During my undergraduate education, I had interests in many subjects such as data structures, algorithms, discrete mathematics, compiler design and computer networks, [STRIKE]however[/STRIKE] but cryptology has always been my particular area of interest. Information is very valuable in today’s globalized market, so I would like to work on new methods and algorithms to secure this valuable information.

I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] became interested in technology [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] at a very young age. However, it was difficult for my family to accept that I wanted to build a career as a computer engineer given the fact that both my parents have a profession in medicine. Naturally, everyone in my family, especially my mother, expected me to carry on with my father’s profession as a medical practitioner. I have always tried to make a positive contribution to [STRIKE]do something beneficial for the[/STRIKE] society, so, I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] joined an N.G.O to help the unprivileged people in rural places during my school vacations. [STRIKE]and help mankind.[/STRIKE] However, I always believed that the rate at which humans are getting dependent on technology, [STRIKE]in future[/STRIKE] means technology will be the greatest help to mankind.

My interest in computer science grew when I was introduced to programming languages in 8[SUP]th[/SUP] standard in my school. I was always good [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at mathematics, and solving puzzles was my hobby, so it was not much difficult for me to work with loops and data structures. I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] learnt Java, C and C++ at school. [STRIKE]itself.[/STRIKE] It was then I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] decided to take up a major in Computer Science and Engineering for my undergraduate degree, and I graduated [STRIKE]studies. Although I had scored 89.9% in my 10[SUP]th[/SUP] standard and 82% in my 12[SUP]th[/SUP] standard, due to my average scores in Entrance Exams, I did not get an opportunity to study in any of the IITs (Indian Institute of Technology) or NITs (National Institute of Technology). I have studied in Nagarjuna College of Engineering and Technology, Bangalore which is a college under Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) in Karnataka and have pursued a Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) in Computer Science and Engineering. I have passed out[/STRIKE] with an aggregate of 74%, First Class Distinction. [STRIKE]Certificate.[/STRIKE] Although the curriculum [STRIKE]approved by our University[/STRIKE] provided a structured and detailed knowledge of [STRIKE]all the[/STRIKE] various fields in computer science, I realized that it was more important to gain a thorough knowledge of my subjects, and [STRIKE]therefore never constricted my field of study to the immediate purview of the syllabus. I have[/STRIKE] made it a point to keep myself updated about the latest developments by attending various extra seminars and workshops.

My interests grew in data structures and algorithms. Coding algorithms became my hobby. Working with linked lists and heaps and traversing algorithms [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were all very fascinating. Encrypting and decrypting algorithms were my main areas of interest. When I learnt HTML and CSS, I [STRIKE]practically[/STRIKE] looked at the html code of all the webpages I used to browse to learn how to design a better webpage. The Laboratories were my area of expertise where I always maintained a consistent performance.

I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] also attended a two-day workshop on Android application development in college, and I [STRIKE]was overwhelmed with the idea given that we practically use tons of android applications in our smartphones every day. A two day workshop could not satisfy my insatiable thirst, so I [/STRIKE] took a one-month training course on mobile application development using IBM Worklight [STRIKE]under[/STRIKE] at IBM. Using [STRIKE]IBM[/STRIKE] Worklight to develop mobile applications was actually easy because it uses HTML and CSS for the frontend design and [STRIKE]JAVA[/STRIKE] Java for the backend, and once the application has been developed, it can be converted to run on any operating system, [STRIKE]platform[/STRIKE] be it Android, Windows or iOS. I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] worked on a project called “Hail and Go” which was a simple cab reservation mobile application, where I used GPS to track the cabs available [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] within a particular range [STRIKE]from the location[/STRIKE] of the user, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] which the user can then select from to make a reservation. [STRIKE]reserve a cab that is available at the nearest location to its own.[/STRIKE] The training gave me a [STRIKE]professional[/STRIKE] practical experience on how to implement a real-time project. It was overwhelming to see how small segments of code could transform an idea into reality. [STRIKE]It gave me a greater perception in coding and handling real time projects.[/STRIKE]

However, my primary area of interest had always been information security, although I did not get any opportunity to get any formal certification [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in that subject except for a two-day workshop on cyber tech and hacking which I found really interesting. [STRIKE]grew my interest more for information security.[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]have given[/STRIKE] gave a seminar on Bitcoins in my final year, and [STRIKE]. seminar.[/STRIKE] while researching [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] Bitcoins, I came across some cryptographic algorithms [STRIKE]that are used[/STRIKE] such as SHA-256 which motivated me to learn more about the subject.

In my final-year project, I [STRIKE]was accompanied by[/STRIKE] along with three of my classmates had to design a payment gateway for e-commerce sites. Given [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] the ever-growing importance of e-commerce [STRIKE]has reached great magnitude[/STRIKE] in the globalized market, my main [STRIKE]motive behind working with this[/STRIKE] goal in that project was to present something that [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could be implemented and used globally. Thus, we designed an automated secured payment gateway [STRIKE]was basically designed[/STRIKE] to prevent the flaws of the cash-on-delivery systems [STRIKE]provided by the[/STRIKE] used by many e-commerce websites and also to avoid [STRIKE]ing the[/STRIKE] any potential fraud that may take place in online transactions. For the frontend design of the gateway we used HTML and CSS, and the backend operations were performed using [STRIKE]JAVA[/STRIKE] java code that interacted with the databases. While working [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on the project we had to [STRIKE]dig[/STRIKE] delve into several IT areas, many of which were new to us. [STRIKE]a lot of aspects we didn’t know before.[/STRIKE] The project helped me enhance my skills in handling large databases. It also gave me a deeper perception of the uses of security algorithms.

The MS in Information Security program [STRIKE]provided[/STRIKE] offered by Carnegie Mellon University concentrates on almost all the fields where Information security can be applied to reduce risks and vulnerability of data. It also provides an understanding in how information security and systems can be applied in business management functions and marketing. I feel that the research facilities at your university provide an ideal environment for intellectual development in my chosen field of interest and will help me attain my career goals. I would be grateful to you, if you accept me into your program. [STRIKE]allow me pursue my graduate studies from your institution[/STRIKE].

Thank you for your kind attention, and I look forward to your positive response,

Yours faithfully,

ABCD

Status
Not open for further replies.