Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Please check my grievance letter to Warehouse Manager. Thank you for any help.

To TW

I am writing to express my displeasure and bitterness with your decision to change my shift pattern.

As you are probably aware, my main and primary role at the moment is quality checking. I have been working in this role for more than six months now, succeeding JG who had been working as a checker for more than a year. Because of the nature of this role, a shift pattern of a quality checker has always been fixed days in a weak, Sunday to Thursday. The reason for this is that there are no restaurant orders that need to be checked on Saturday. It seems reasonable and logical therefore that a quality checker have this day off in a work pattern as there is not much work to do.

I would like to allow myself to challenge your opinion which you stated in an email to night shift manager JH, saying that I should not stay on a fixed pattern nor be the only person able to do the checking, that there need to be more workers trained to perform the role of checking, taking into consideration a case of absence or 'long term sickness'. You may have not been informed that there are currently at least three operatives (PM, GD and SR), who have been trained to do the checking and who have effectively substituted me in this role on many occasions, usually on Friday or when I was on holiday. The only significant difference between me and them that is worth mentioning, is that I am a person who can log on to computer systems used in our workplace to obtain all the necessary paperwork for checking, and do not have to depend on admin clerks for assistance.

In your response to JH you also stated that it would be unfair that I
be the only operative 'privileged' with a regular shift pattern, meaning that other operatives could be displeased with this fact. I and previously JG have been working on fixed days rota for more two years andthis has never been questioned or disputed. I have never heard any warehouse operative express dissatisfaction with this fact. It seems that everyone has accepted the status quo in this regard because it was considered sensible and practical.

I would also like to make you aware that I aspire to assume a role in office administration, which I hope will one day come true. I managed to
establish a position of a reputable and reliable employee, who has displayed exceptional performance and commitment, and who has become familiar with office work and WMS, which is very much in line with my current aspirations. To come back to irregular shift pattern is something that I regard as a major setback and a factor that could hinder my career development. I find it very upsetting and disheartening that you are being so firm and uncompromising in your decision that, in my view, is rather inconsiderate and undeserved.

It is a matter of utmost importance to me that I return to my previous shift pattern.

On top of that, I recently applied for the position of Stock and Admin Clerk and I was not even given a chance to be interviewed. I have reason to believe that there are ‘forces’ within our company which are conspiring to prevent employees like me from progressing, forces that are making a concerted effort to impede decent, hard-working peoples' development. I have a feeling that there exists a ‘glass ceiling’ within our company that does not allow ambitious employees to further their careers and pursue their goals. I have reason to believe that decisions about promotion or admission into the stock and admin team are entirely arbitrary and are not based on objective, impartial assessment of particular candidates’ suitability for the role. All this leaves me with a feeling of a profound letdown and a sense of injustice. It appears that all my previous efforts and commitment have proven to be in vain. It is all indeed very frustrating and I feel as though all the enthusiasm has been drained from me.

I therefore urge you to reconsider your decision, and I trust that this letter has given you a deeper understanding of my position on this issues. I would welcome an opportunity to meet with you at your convenience to discuss these issues.

Yours sincerely,

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

To TW

I am writing to express my [STRIKE]displeasure and bitterness[/STRIKE] strong disappointment with your decision to change my shift pattern.

As you are probably aware, my [STRIKE]main and[/STRIKE] primary role at the moment is quality checking. I have been working in this role for more than six months now, succeeding JG who had been working as a quality checker for more than a year. Because of the nature of this role, the shift pattern of the quality checker has always been fixed to certain days in the week-- Sunday to Thursday. [STRIKE]The reason for[/STRIKE] This is [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] because there are no restaurant orders that need to be checked on Saturday. It seems reasonable and logical, therefore, that a quality checker have this day off in the work pattern, as there is not much work to do on Saturday.

I [STRIKE]would like to allow myself to challenge your opinion[/STRIKE] wish to outline my disagreement with your decision which you [STRIKE]stated[/STRIKE] explained in an email to the night-shift manager JH, saying that I should not stay on a fixed pattern, nor be the only person [STRIKE]able[/STRIKE] to do the checking, and that there needs to be more workers trained [STRIKE]to perform the role of[/STRIKE] in checking [STRIKE], taking into consideration[/STRIKE] to cover for the checker in case ofabsence or 'long term sickness'. You may have not been informed that there are currently at least three operatives (PM, GD and SR), who have been trained to do the checking and who have effectively substituted for me in this role on many occasions, usually on Friday or when I was on holiday. The only significant difference between [STRIKE]me and them that is worth mentioning,[/STRIKE] us is that I [STRIKE]am a person who[/STRIKE] can log on to the computer systems [STRIKE]used in our workplace[/STRIKE] to obtain all the necessary paperwork for checking and do not have to depend on admin clerks for assistance.

In your response to JH, you also stated [STRIKE]that it would be[/STRIKE] it was unfair that I should
be the only operative 'privileged' with a regular shift pattern. [STRIKE], meaning that other operatives could be displeased with this fact.[/STRIKE] I and previously JG have been working on fixed-days rotas for more two years, and this has never been questioned or disputed. I have never heard any warehouse operative express dissatisfaction with this fact. It seems that everyone has accepted the status quo in this regard because it [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] is considered sensible and practical.

I would also like to [STRIKE]make you aware[/STRIKE] point out that I aspire to assume a role in office administration in the future. [STRIKE], which I hope will one day come true.[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]managed to [/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]establish a position of[/STRIKE] always been a reputable and reliable employee [STRIKE], wh[/STRIKE][STRIKE]o has displayed[/STRIKE] with exceptional performance and commitment. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE][STRIKE] who has[/STRIKE] I have become familiar with office work and WMS, which is very much in line with my current aspirations. To come back to an irregular shift pattern is something that I regard as a major setback and a factor that could hinder my career development. Thus, I find your decision [STRIKE]find it[/STRIKE] very upsetting and disheartening, and [STRIKE]that you are being so firm and uncompromising in your decision[/STRIKE][STRIKE] that,[/STRIKE] in my view, is rather inconsiderate and undeserved.
It is a matter of utmost importance to me that I return to my previous shift pattern.

On top of that, I recently applied for the internal position of Stock and Admin Clerk, and I was not even given a chance to be interviewed. I have reason to believe that there are ‘forces’ within our company which are conspiring to prevent employees like me from progressing; forces that are making a concerted effort to impede decent, hard-working peoples' development. I have a feeling that there exists a ‘glass ceiling’ within our company that does not allow ambitious employees to further their careers and pursue their goals. I have reason to believe that decisions about promotion or admission into the stock and admin team are entirely arbitrary and are not based on objective, impartial assessment of particular candidates’ suitability for the role. All this leaves me with a feeling of a profound letdown and a sense of injustice. It appears that all my previous efforts and commitment have proven to be in vain. It is all indeed very frustrating, and I feel as though all the enthusiasm has been drained from me.

I therefore urge you to reconsider your decision, and I trust that this letter has given you a deeper understanding of my position on this issues.I would welcome an opportunity to meet with you at your convenience to discuss and hopefully try to resolve this issue. [STRIKE]these issues.[/STRIKE][STRIKE]
[/STRIKE]

Yours sincerely,
Do you really think that your second last paragraph is helpful?

leszkoss

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Initially this paragraph was not included. I consulted the letter with my shift manager and he advised me to write something about me being left out, etc. But I know it can make things worse for me so I will leave it out. It is better to be rational rather than emotional.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.