• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Having or have? [The comparison and contrast of two stories, poems, or plays having]

Hello,

I do not know how to ask my question but the the bolded word in the original text below seems weird to me and I prefer to paraphrase it into an another form.

Would you please tell me if both of them are correct and convey the same meaning or not? I would like to know why the bolded word in the original sentence does not make sense for me. Any help would be appreciated.

the original text:

The comparison and contrast of two stories, poems, or plays having one or more features in common may be an illuminating exercise because the similarities highlight the differences, or vice versa, and thus lead to a better understanding not only of both pieces but of literary processes in general.
    The paraphrased one:

The comparison and contrast of two stories, poems, or plays which have one or more features in common may be an illuminating exercise because the similarities highlight the differences, or vice versa, and thus lead to a better understanding not only of both pieces but of literary processes in general.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Having or have? [The comparison and contrast of two stories, poems, or plays havi

They are both correct and have the same meaning. A particple can be used as in the first to create a reduced relative clause. It replaces "which have".