Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

What I am interested in is whether the use of "protrude over or protrude above" is dependent on physical conditions or it is the matter of collocation, that is, which words go together well.

I assume that in the case of "protrude over", a vertical distance between two thing may be so small that they can be touching each other or covering each other.

On the other hand, in the case of "protrude above", a vertical distance between two thing may be large and they don't touch each other or cover each other.

Do you think my reasoning is right?

Please put me right on that if need be.

Thank you.

J

J&K Tutoring

Your understanding of protrude is incorrect. The thing protruding must be in or a part of the substance protruded from.

I haven't done a lot of research- that's your job- but to my ear, protrude over is incorrect and protrude above is redundant. Protrude from is best.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have seen a few examples of "protrude over" and "protrude above" used on the Internet.
I don't question your reply.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A manhole cover protrudes over the road surface.

A roof protrudes over a house.

Last edited:

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What conclusions should I draw?:

'Manhole cover protrudes 3-4" above road surface.' means 'Manhole cover surely comes into contact with the road surface at some point and it can't be staying off the ground as if it were in a state of weightlessness.'

What would happen if the sentence read: 'Manhole cover protrudes 3-4" over road surface.'? Would the meaning be different?

What do you think?

Thank you.

I think it's a question of collocation.

In the meantime, I looked up 'Manhole cover protrudes over' on the Internet but I haven't found any example of 'Manhole cover protrudes over' used on the Internet.

It looks like there is nothing for it but to come to grips with it.

Maybe it is a question of big and small things.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'If you were to be on top of the roof looking down, you would not see the front edge of the gutter, because the cover protrudes over it.'── quoted from http://guttercoverkc.com/nose-forward-design/

Having read the above, I think 'something protrudes over something else by xxx inches' does not mean 'something is above something else by xxx inches'.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Surely I would not say 'something is above something else by xxx inches'. I woud rather say 'something is over something else by xxx inches'.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What would happen if the sentence read: 'Manhole cover protrudes 3-4" over road surface.'? Would the meaning be different?

What do you think?
I think it is impossible because it means that the manhole cover extends beyond the road surface.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I think it's a question of collocation.

I agree.

"Protrude from", "protrude above" or "protrude beyond" work for me. The Oxford Dictionaries definition uses one example with "from" and three using "above".

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/protrude

Extend beyond or above a surface: something like a fin protruded from the water

More example sentences
  • Their stems and leaves protrude above the water surface.
  • Leave the finishing nails protruding slightly above surface of the wood.
  • Check all joints to make sure nothing protrudes above the surface.

Google Ngram shows all three versions:
http://tinyurl.com/ouaeapo

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Surely I would not say 'something is above something else by xxx inches'. I woud rather say 'something is over something else by xxx inches'.
It depends on what 'something' and 'something' are. A speed bump protrudes above the road surface by a few inches. This doesn't have to mean that it's floating on air.

J

J&K Tutoring

Does it make sense if 'over' is replaced with 'beyond'?

A roof overhangs a wall. It does not protrude.

Please note that not everyone who is asking 85$us for some cub scout's rainy afternoon project is a reliable source of correct English usage. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.