English Teacher
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Spain
Hi everyone,

I'm a graduate in English and Spanish Linguistics, but not a native speaker of English. I'm currently doing my Erasmus practice in a secondary school in Southern Spain as a conversation assistant. I have no previous experience in teaching English, so it's a real challenge. In the first place, because, as mentioned in the title of the topic, I work with people of various ages, starting from 9 and ending at 23, and I usually give lessons to small groups (5-6 people), about 12 different groups in total. However, the biggest challenge I face is related to the level of the students, which is basically A1,or less. This is to say, they are not able to formulate a sentence, not even talking about expressing any opinion, etc., so I am out of ideas what to do with them, as to have a conversation in English (which is technically my task) is, obviously, impossible. I'm not given any book or lesson plan either (everything is a bit disorganized in a said school...). I know you can find games (vocabulary, speaking, etc.) on internet, but, having in mind the low level of almost all of my students, I cannot make a 23 year-old draw a chicken... Do you have any tips on how to teach English to adults of 0 level? (Another problem is that it's a secondary school, so most of them are not motivated at all, and this is something really difficult to bear with for me as a 23 year-old recent graduate with no experience in the field...). Or how to make young children talk (they're either afraid or indifferent, if I ask them to express an idea, they just tell a few words and get bored, so I don't know how to proceed with the lesson.

If somebody with experience could help me, I would be more than grateful!

P.S.: I cannot afford buying any books or printing any material, as I'm not getting paid for the practice.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are these age ranges in the same class?

Status
Not open for further replies.