• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Last time- four ways to expressing it

Hello all.

Every book I have read about this phenomena says that there are many ways to expressing this idea. For example: This is the last time I'll/ I am going toplay with you, This is the last time I play/ I am playing with you.

The thing I don't understand at all is I don't know when to use these four versions. My teacher may be wrong but she told me I can use all those structures e.g. in this situation:

I am at tennis court with my friend and we are about to start playing a friendly game together. However he is hitting balls too hard during warm up and suddenly he hits me. I get angry and say........ according to my teacher right now I could say all 4 versions I stated above. Is it really possible? Originally I would not say This is the last time I play/ I am playing with you in this situation.

Would it be possible to show me in what sort of situations you, native speakers, use those structures please?

I would like to show you my opinion and way how I would use it:

This is the last time I will play with you - it perfectly fits into the context of being angry at my friend after he hits me by a ball.

This is the last time I am going to play with you - I may have had enough of tennis and don't wanna play more matches after this one.

This is the last time I play/ I am playing with you - I would use it during the game (not before) but I am absolutely not sure when to use the progressive version and when the normal one.

The last paragraph is the main thing where my opinion differs from the opinion of my teacher. She would say it before the start of the event but I would use it only when the event has already started, was happening or so.

I hope you understand me what I mean - not because of you but becuase of my English which is a bit limited . It was pretty hard for me to ask this question.

P.S. I am posting it from my phone so I apologize for not using all features to make it more comfortable for reading.

Thank you.

Dominik
    Last edited by Dominik92; 15-Oct-2015 at 23:18.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Last time- four ways to expressing it

I don't see any significant difference between the four in that situation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Last time- four ways to expressing it

Do I understand it right that it doesnīt work the way that I have to use it only in those situations:

1) If we havenīt played yet or we are about to start to play - “This is the last time I'll play with you.”

2)
    If we were playing right now - I decide in the middle of the match - “This is the last time I play/I am playing with you.”

If I am wrong please correct me but if I understand you well I can use the four structures whenever I want, canīt I? Doesnīt matter whether we are playing right now or we havenīt started to play yet?