• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

encroaching on [Diseases encroaching on all I hold dear]

Hello,

I have got two questions. First, I have problem with gerunds, participles, reduced clauses and do not know how to learn them. I tried but it was not fruitful. It makes me angry when I cannot learn them and have to always ask such elementary questions in this lovely forum. Don't know if you were not here how would I have to do!! would you please show me a way to learn them?

The second part of my question is about the sentence below. If (encroaching on) is the result of reduction of(Diseases encroach on) or (Diseases which encroach on)?

Disease encroaching on all I hold dear,
    Somehow I gotta get my soul outta here.
    Thank you in advance,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: encroaching on [Diseases encroaching on all I hold dear]

We don't give grammar tutorials, I'm afraid. Click here and search the glossaries listed. Ask again if you have any specific problems.

Regarding your title question, please tell us where you found this couplet and who wrote it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

"Disease encroaching on all I hold dear, "

There's no way you can parse song lyrics unless they are grammatical - which they rarely are.
    This could mean "Disease is encroaching ..." or "... with disease encroaching ..." or something else.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    We don't give grammar tutorials, I'm afraid. Click here and search the glossaries listed. Ask again if you have any specific problems.

Regarding your title question, please tell us where you found this couplet and who wrote it.
    Did I mention anything about tutorials in my first post? I just wanted to know you gentlemen as English teachers know any better way for learning those subjects or not! If you were in my city,although, I would definitely participate in your classes.

I found that part of the lyrics in this URL, but I don't know who wrote it

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Disease encroaching on all I hold dear, "

There's no way you can parse song lyrics unless they are grammatical - which they rarely are.
    This could mean "Disease is encroaching ..." or "... with disease encroaching ..." or something else.
    Is the mentioned song lyrics grammatical? Many people say English songs are ungrammatical! I wonder if they are ungrammatical then how can you enjoy of them? If I put some ungrammatical words along with each other, do you enjoy of my song too? I guess all the English songs are grammatical because we can understand them (Well my English is poor, I mean English speakers) totally without any problems.

Dear Raymott you said (Disease is encroaching), but I have been taught to reduce (Disease which is encroaching) to (Disease encroaching). I cannot reduce your sentence to (Disease encroaching) unless you say that it is a correct rule in English along with other rules in reducing a sentence without relative pronoun.

Based on your words can I reduce "She is talking with my brother" to "She talking with my brother?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

No. If you want to talk about grammatical sentences, then we can do that. Songs are not grammatical. But you can sometimes guess what they mean, and express that meaning grammatically. That does not mean you can do it in reverse. That is, you can't take a proper grammatical sentence like "She is talking with my brother" and mangle it and still have it make sense.

A baby might say, "Milk, give". You can guess that means "Give me some milk", or "I'd like some milk please". That doesn't mean you can walk into a post office and say, "Stamp, give". And it doesn't make "Milk, give" grammatical simply because you can express the meaning grammatically.
    Last edited by Raymott; 16-Oct-2015 at 14:03.