Interested in Language
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Mentor,

I have some confusion regarding the use of has and has been. I have come across such situations when I get confused between these two. I can not decide which one is to use. I also wan to know the grammatical reason behind it.

Some times like in this sentence: She has died. They do not put been after has when there are words like Die, Change, Improved. Why is such and why not She has been died.

And while in this sentence : The site has been blocked. Here they put been after has when there are words like block, cancel, transfer. Why not The site has blocked.

Please help me understand the reason behind it and if my observation of word specific usage is correct or not. If not what is the correct reason behind it and if my observation is correct then how to sort these words.

And also if there is any other care to be taken in this regard.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In "She has died", "has died" is the present perfect form of "to die". "Died" is not an adjective. You can use "She has been" with adjectives or with the -ing form of a verb.

She has been tired.
She has been shopping.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The site can't do any blocking, and if it could it would have to have something to block. (It's what we call a transitive verb.)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only transitive verbs van be cast in the passive voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.