• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: What does it mean in context and slangs

My be you advice me anything else with such manner of pronunciation and speed then? I mean pronunciation not with his slangs that is closed to outsiders.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I can't speak for anyone else here but I am going to be unable/unwilling to answer your questions on this forum. There are two reasons for this:

1 - I am one of those people who doesn't understand most of the terms used in rap.
    2 - I would spend so much time correcting the English used in your questions, that I would have no time to help anyone else.

You might think it's OK to deal with the vocabulary of language (and anti-language) first and worry about grammar later. However, leaving questions constructed as yours are here, uncorrected, might lead other learners to think that there are no errors in your writing. It would be a disservice to them if we didn't point out all the errors in punctuation, spelling and grammar.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I see. But readers of this post must to know that I'm bad in grammar.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by learner142 View Post
    You don't understood understand. Most of you are teachers here, right? And I'm a pupil here with great experience. I'll try to explain. When you live in a country where no one speaks in a foreign language, in order to effectively study and progress in it, you must place yourself in such an environment where you'll be surrounded with language speakers of the language you are trying to learn. You must know that same word you can say the same word in many ways. When you become familiar with all this ways of pronunciation of pronouncing the word, you can easily perceive understand everyone with all their different ways and manners of speech.

For instance, the same word a can easily be perceive understood from one person and ever not know about what talk another (I do not know what you are trying to say with the underlined part). The only way to know it is to read it on lyrics or subtitles (movie). All this types of pronunciation information of one word saving in our mind with association to the one. We need to memorise the different pronunciations within context. My be Maybe you think that learning just one type associatied of association is enough. It will result in pecieiving understanding. That's why I try to create an environment with speakers with all types of pronunciation. My be Maybe "50 cent" is not the best choice, but I have not found anything else on with that kind of pronunciation. He says many normal English words on using his manner of own pronunciation. I think (no comma here) it's useful for me. And by the way of listening, I studing study the meanings of what I am listening to. Without it, there is no thing nothing to what attach that version of the pronunciation in the my mind.

And after that only I filled a progress in perceiving and memorizing of words and expressions. (I don't know what you are trying to say with the underlined sentence.)

You saying grammar? Look (no comma here) how a child progressing progresses in acquiring language skills. First he styding studies words and sayings and learns to perceive understand people without that those boring rules (no comma here) that can easily cause aversion of in some kind of pupils, I think. Only when he has acquired that those skills does he begin to study rools rules in a at school. In that aspect, I'm a child because (no comma here) I'm growth I grew up in an environment where I haven't had that experience which have American or UK British people have had from childhood.
    Communication with you is useful for me too.
    How to connect them I'll learn from listening to language carriers (what is a "language carrier"?). For that, I must to learn to perceive understand them. I hope you now get now the connection.
    My be Maybe you can advise me anything else with such manner of on some other ways to deal with pronunciation and speed then. I don't mean the pronunciation not with of his slangs slang that is closed to outsiders.
    I see. But readers of this post must to know that I'm bad in at grammar.
    Learner142, you say that you are a pupil with "great experience". That suggests to me that you are enthusiastic about learning. I take your point about how children acquire language skills but, with all due respect, children do not try to construct the types of complicated sentences and ideas that you have been trying to use in your posts. They use basic, simple sentences and good parents and teachers carefully and quietly correct serious errors.

I have spent over 10 minutes making corrections and amendments to your previous five posts. You might not like it and you might think that other learners here should just accept that you are "bad at grammar" but that doesn't make any difference. On this forum, we demonstrate how to use English correctly and that involves pointing out and correcting errors in learners' posts.

I honestly believe that it is too early for you to study the kind of "anti-language" used in rap songs. Many native speakers don't understand the usage and pronunciation in such material even though they have a good grounding in the actual language. Of course, you are free to carry on studying it but I really don't think you are going to get much help here and I think it is actually going to be a hindrance to your attempts to learn English.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Newbie
    Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

What you are asking about is what Americans call, "Gangster Rap" This form of slang English come from mostly black street gangs. This slang is also local. What something means in New York, might not be the same as in Chicago or L.A. I would suggest you find more mainstream music to listen to, R&B or Rock. A majority of Americans can't tell you exactly what the meaning is for some of the phrases you are asking about The music I suggested uses much more common phrasing and words.

6. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You might not like it.
    Quite contrary. I apprecite it. I'm learning from you and seeing my imperfection in grammar skills yet. Thanks.
    Last edited by learner142; 19-Oct-2015 at 14:00.

7. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaufman View Post
    This form of slang English come from mostly black street gangs. This slang is also local.
    Many British viewers turned subtitles on for The Wire.

8. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Did you watch Predator on subtitles? There's unclear pronunce on some places, when they dislocated in jungle. Subs helped not much.
    I'm training not only on that music. Don't think like that. I watching normal movies too. I havent practice on chating and writing, that's why I'm doing so much errors. Where I can chat with normal people on the internet for free? Can you please tell me? Here I'm doing not much good because, on this forum you must write without errors. I dont want to impel moderators all the time do corrections of my posts. If I get right, they tired doing this.
    Last edited by learner142; 19-Oct-2015 at 19:24.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I don't disagree with your approach to using music/video for learning - as I said, I sometimes use it as a exercise in my class. My concern, which Tdol echoed, is that picking the wrong material is counter-productive.

Anything with strong regional dialects, specialized slang, anti-language, etc. won't be terribly useful.

Pick some mainstream video and music. Pop music, for example would probably be good material. It will still have some slang and culture references to work out, but then song in general is harder to parse than spoken language anyway.

Pick some animated films, such as any of the Pixar or Disney films. Listening to news broadcasters on TV would be good practice, since they're mostly (at least in the US) trained to use a particular accent that's been deemed the most neutral sounding. Most TV shows would work, as long as it's not set in a particular region with a strong accent, or has characters with particularly strong accents.

Period shows, while interesting, will be more likely to have less-useful language, as they portray language spoken long ago.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

10. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

"move it or lose it" it's normal use when you're asking someone to step aside?
    Last edited by learner142; 25-Jan-2016 at 19:16.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last