Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I see. But readers of this post must to know that I'm bad in grammar.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You don't [STRIKE]understood[/STRIKE] understand. Most of you are teachers here, right? And I'm a pupil [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE] with great experience. I'll try to explain. When you live in a country where no one speaks [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] a foreign language, in order to effectively study and progress in it, you must place yourself in such an environment where you'll be surrounded with [STRIKE]language[/STRIKE] speakers of the language you are trying to learn. You must know that [STRIKE]same word[/STRIKE] you can say the same word in many ways. When you become familiar with all [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] ways of [STRIKE]pronunciation[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] pronouncing the word, you can easily [STRIKE]perceive[/STRIKE] understand everyone with all their different ways and manners of speech.

For instance, the same word a can easily be [STRIKE]perceive[/STRIKE] understood from one person and ever not know about what talk another (I do not know what you are trying to say with the underlined part). The only way to know it is to read [STRIKE]it on[/STRIKE] lyrics or subtitles (movie). [STRIKE]All this types of pronunciation information of one word saving in our mind with association to the one.[/STRIKE] We need to memorise the different pronunciations within context. [STRIKE]My be[/STRIKE] Maybe you think that learning just one type [STRIKE]associatied[/STRIKE] of association is enough. It will result in [STRIKE]pecieiving[/STRIKE] understanding. That's why I try to create an environment with speakers with all types of pronunciation. [STRIKE]My be[/STRIKE] Maybe "50 cent" is not the best choice, but I have not found anything else [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] with that kind of pronunciation. He says many normal English words [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] using his [STRIKE]manner of[/STRIKE] own pronunciation. I think (no comma here) it's useful for me. And by [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]way[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] listening, I [STRIKE]studing[/STRIKE] study the meanings of what I am listening to. Without it, there is [STRIKE]no thing[/STRIKE] nothing to [STRIKE]what[/STRIKE] attach that version of the pronunciation in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] my mind.

And after that only I filled a progress in perceiving and memorizing of words and expressions. (I don't know what you are trying to say with the underlined sentence.)

You say[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] grammar? Look (no comma here) how a child [STRIKE]progressing[/STRIKE] progresses in acquiring language skills. First he [STRIKE]styding[/STRIKE] studies words and sayings and learns to [STRIKE]perceive[/STRIKE] understand people without [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] those boring rules (no comma here) that can easily cause aversion [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in some [STRIKE]kind of[/STRIKE] pupils, I think. Only when he has acquired [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] those skills does he begin to study [STRIKE]rools[/STRIKE] rules [STRIKE]in a[/STRIKE] at school. In that aspect, I'm a child because (no comma here) [STRIKE]I'm growth[/STRIKE] I grew up in an environment where I haven't had that experience which [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] American or [STRIKE]UK[/STRIKE] British people have had from childhood.

Communication with you is useful for me too.

How to connect them I'll learn from listening to language carriers (what is a "language carrier"?). For that, I must to learn to [STRIKE]perceive[/STRIKE] understand them. I hope you now get [STRIKE]now[/STRIKE] the connection.

[STRIKE]My be[/STRIKE] Maybe you can advise me [STRIKE]anything else with such manner of[/STRIKE] on some other ways to deal with pronunciation and speed then. I don't mean the pronunciation [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] of his [STRIKE]slangs[/STRIKE] slang that is closed to outsiders.

I see. But readers of this post must [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] know that I'm bad [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at grammar.

Learner142, you say that you are a pupil with "great experience". That suggests to me that you are enthusiastic about learning. I take your point about how children acquire language skills but, with all due respect, children do not try to construct the types of complicated sentences and ideas that you have been trying to use in your posts. They use basic, simple sentences and good parents and teachers carefully and quietly correct serious errors.

I have spent over 10 minutes making corrections and amendments to your previous five posts. You might not like it and you might think that other learners here should just accept that you are "bad at grammar" but that doesn't make any difference. On this forum, we demonstrate how to use English correctly and that involves pointing out and correcting errors in learners' posts.

I honestly believe that it is too early for you to study the kind of "anti-language" used in rap songs. Many native speakers don't understand the usage and pronunciation in such material even though they have a good grounding in the actual language. Of course, you are free to carry on studying it but I really don't think you are going to get much help here and I think it is actually going to be a hindrance to your attempts to learn English.

Michael Kaufman

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Thailand
What you are asking about is what Americans call, "Gangster Rap" This form of slang English come from mostly black street gangs. This slang is also local. What something means in New York, might not be the same as in Chicago or L.A. I would suggest you find more mainstream music to listen to, R&B or Rock. A majority of Americans can't tell you exactly what the meaning is for some of the phrases you are asking about The music I suggested uses much more common phrasing and words.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You might not like it.

Quite contrary. I apprecite it. I'm learning from you and seeing my imperfection in grammar skills yet. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Did you watch Predator on subtitles? There's unclear pronunce on some places, when they dislocated in jungle. Subs helped not much.
I'm training not only on that music. Don't think like that. I watching normal movies too. I havent practice on chating and writing, that's why I'm doing so much errors. Where I can chat with normal people on the internet for free? Can you please tell me? Here I'm doing not much good because, on this forum you must write without errors. I dont want to impel moderators all the time do corrections of my posts. If I get right, they tired doing this.

Last edited:

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't disagree with your approach to using music/video for learning - as I said, I sometimes use it as a exercise in my class. My concern, which Tdol echoed, is that picking the wrong material is counter-productive.

Anything with strong regional dialects, specialized slang, anti-language, etc. won't be terribly useful.

Pick some mainstream video and music. Pop music, for example would probably be good material. It will still have some slang and culture references to work out, but then song in general is harder to parse than spoken language anyway.

Pick some animated films, such as any of the Pixar or Disney films. Listening to news broadcasters on TV would be good practice, since they're mostly (at least in the US) trained to use a particular accent that's been deemed the most neutral sounding. Most TV shows would work, as long as it's not set in a particular region with a strong accent, or has characters with particularly strong accents.

Period shows, while interesting, will be more likely to have less-useful language, as they portray language spoken long ago.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"move it or lose it" it's normal use when you're asking someone to step aside?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's on the popular movie. Lloyd use it in "dumb and dumber" when he runs after Mary in an airport.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I consider "move it or lose it" to be an idiom. It is an order followed by a threat, but its use is often not as serious as it sounds.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] from [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a popular movie. Lloyd uses it in "Dumb and Dumber" when he runs after Mary in an airport.

I've never seen that film although I have heard of it.

If someone used the phrase to me or near me when they were trying to get past someone, I'm sure I would understand it.

I know a phrase which sounds similar but has a different meaning - "Use it or lose it". I heard it at a presentation skills course when referring to a Powerpoint slide or a sheet of paper on a flipchart. It reminds the speaker that if they are not referring to the slide/sheet they should remove it from view so it does not distract the listeners from what is actually being said.

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks. I see. I wonder what is the meaning of 'it' in this slang? Butt, ass? Because on a most american movies they use ass instead of body. For instance: "Edgar, get your butt down from there".

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was going to suggest just what you guessed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The "it" doesn't really refer to anything. If you want someone to get out of your way, you could (rather rudely) simply say "Move!" However, the rhyming idiom would not work without "it" being said twice. "Move or lose" wouldn't work.

"Move it" can also be said when you're trying to encourage someone to move faster than they are currently moving. "Come on! Move it! We're going to be late."

learner142

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's from the same movie: "too little too late, Harry". Lloyd said it when Harry his friend by accident hit big guy with a salt shaker.
"Oh, man, you gotta be shitting me". Big guy caught Lloyd in toilet.
And another: "Don't forget that your bread plate is on the left". Boss said it to Mental.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.